Manitou 4 Fork help??

drcarlos":32u5x1sw said:
You are aware that steel springs have almost zero damping capability, right?
Yeah but these early Manitou forks are effectively air damped, you can hear air squeezing past the top seal on each stroke. In fact I've read somewhere that people have drilled holes in the bottom of the legs to reduce this air damping effect.

There's also stiction in the bushings and putting my whole weight on them you're only talking a whopping 30mm of travel! Damping feels no worse than the RST Mozo and late 90s Manitou's I've got, both of which have short springs from the factory.

I agree results may vary on other designs but fitting springs is pretty well proven on early Manitou/Pace forks and an improvement if, like me, you find elastomer forks are far too stiff, even in summer.

lrh":3ae06sie said:
drcarlos":3ae06sie said:
You are aware that steel springs have almost zero damping capability, right?
Yeah but these early Manitou forks are effectively air damped, you can hear air squeezing past the top seal on each stroke. In fact I've read somewhere that people have drilled holes in the bottom of the legs to reduce this air damping effect.

There's also stiction in the bushings and putting my whole weight on them you're only talking a whopping 30mm of travel! Damping feels no worse than the RST Mozo and late 90s Manitou's I've got, both of which have short springs from the factory.

I agree results may vary on other designs but fitting springs is pretty well proven on early Manitou/Pace forks and an improvement if, like me, you find elastomer forks are far too stiff, even in summer.

People have tried to argue this before and failed (have a search on here), there is nothing scientific or engineering based to prove these theories on early Manitous (it's all anecdotal, with no sound fact), as for Pace I have no idea as I have never owned one.

Carl.

I will probably regret posting this but I used to race on a set of these forks BITD and I know I have some elastomer,s
in my loft. I had the Adventure Components brace and they looked great. I sold them to a mate (who then had his
bike nicked) and so I have no need for spares. When I find what I have you can have them for the price of postage.
I say I will regret making this offer because I live in a traditional terraced house and getting into my loft is nigh on
impossible so please don,t rush me!!!!!

Generous offer by fignon there....just be aware that most NOS/Used old mani elastomers I have ever got my hands on tend not to exhibit the same springy properties that they would have done when new. Its a sad fact that the material does age....badly in most cases.

fignon1989":aougef87 said:
I will probably regret posting this but I used to race on a set of these forks BITD and I know I have some elastomer,s
in my loft. I had the Adventure Components brace and they looked great. I sold them to a mate (who then had his
bike nicked) and so I have no need for spares. When I find what I have you can have them for the price of postage.
I say I will regret making this offer because I live in a traditional terraced house and getting into my loft is nigh on
impossible so please don,t rush me!!!!!

Fair point well made!! I also should have pointed out that they never really worked all that well. I think in my mind
saying they looked great implied form over function!!! I know elastomer,s do not age well but these have been in a
box in a loft so they may be ok..........knew I would regret posting this!!

:D ....just don't be surprised if you find a box of coloured dust when you get up there. :D :D

fignon1989":3491fl7g said:
Fair point well made!! I also should have pointed out that they never really worked all that well. I think in my mind
saying they looked great implied form over function!!! I know elastomer,s do not age well but these have been in a
box in a loft so they may be ok..........knew I would regret posting this!!

Dont you just hate people who are right........After so many wet Sundays I chose todya to clamber into my loft whem it was nice and sunny! It was a genuine offer to karma my elastomers but they have decayed into nothing. Sorry....
I have pulled out no end of early 90,s parts, catalogues, forks etc that I will stick on the for sale site if I can work out how to post pictures or if all else fails E-bay next week.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 4s but can't justify £60 on a full rebuild kit.

I bought the replacement spring kit a couple of years back but have just totally stripped down and the bottom elastomers are completely shot.

Surely this is just a case of finding a company that produces the correct profile as a replacement?

Lots of companies out there that have stock polyurethane in the diameter you need. The problem comes getting the correct durometer rating. Most stock is 90a which would give you an almost rigid fork. You need between 40a and 60a...which is usually a custom mix...and that's when it gets expensive. US ebay is a good source... But again it ain't cheap.

Can you tell I've looked in to this :oops:

homerjay":10wyago9 said:
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 4s but can't justify £60 on a full rebuild kit.

I bought the replacement spring kit a couple of years back but have just totally stripped down and the bottom elastomers are completely shot.

Surely this is just a case of finding a company that produces the correct profile as a replacement?

Back