Malverns 2024 aftermath

Malverns Classic 2024. One word: busy.

Once again I was fortunate and ever thankful for Kona, or to be precise, Mount Green Cycles (the new UK distributor for Kona, there're a safe pair of hands from what I could tell over the weekend - great gang!) for inviting me onto the stand. Like previous years, it's a lot of hard graft, starting on site 09:00 on Thursday, right the way through to close of play Sunday. Erecting the stand, taking it down of course, and the daily routine of unpacking and packing bikes and so on. Before we get on site there's a ton of work the gang do, and for me, that also means getting all the bikes and gear together, thinking about what to display and how it could look.

Thinking back to the event itself compared to 22 and 23, you could see the incremental gains in terms of security and overall organisation. Footfall seemed higher, even with the dodgy weather (more on that later). There looked and sounded to be more events than ever before, with something going on in the main arena almost all of the time.

The stands were pretty full when I managed to get a few minutes to walk around and the vibe was all-round positive. If you've never been then it's well worth a day visit and if you're riding, definitely worth staying longer.

The Misser Replica exceeded all of my expectations in terms of reaction. I'll save the full debrief on that to the build thread, but it was a head-turner (arf arf) all weekend, not least from my favourite moment when Boom Boom made time to come over. Absolute scenes! Also, finally, getting to chat with Doddy was great. My placement in the show and shine next to the pristine ex Jonny T race bike scuppered my chances of making the top 10 🤣

U2GLFB.jpg

wVgSO7.jpg

C38qHs.jpg

9BaZi5.jpg

Z094if.jpg

GoFGg2.jpg

Sknr6J.jpg

JXbqyZ.jpg

10pX2f.jpg

LEYIP8.jpg

@d8mok 's sweet 94 HH with it's bigger more modern cousin

TZ9Mmt.jpg

Pip's old HH KK - bless him - I wonder what he would of made of it being here?

BPafcq.jpg

ZFKPwH.jpg

DpJSFJ.jpg

An absolute weapon, still being ridden hard today. Check out the rolla-coaster!

LXB0xy.jpg

Amazing! A brilliant time was had and I met loads of people, putting names to faces, alongside catching up with friends and pals.

Some feedback and musings:

- Weather. It was pretty shite wasn't it? Storm on Thursday night/Friday morning, heavy showers, one afternoon of sun and it didn't warm up much. Ah well!
- Show and shine. Let's go there. Please, please, please, please, please can we have a proper adult conversation about how this is organised and run. There's so many amazing bikes, across such a broad spectrum, a couple of categories or a theme, communicated well in advance, with transparent scoring would encourage even more participation. At the moment it's all cloak and dagger.
- Food options. They were limited compared to last year. If you were a veggie or needed GF, you were going to struggle.
- Evening entertainment. A real mixed bag and it's totally subjective. What I would say is that it was too dance/electronica focused. Even the god-awful covers band (the worst act I've heard in years) did dance music. The reggae band were a welcome respite on our ear-drums. Oh and the MC can get in the bin ;)
- Diversity. This is a proper problem in the sport and hobby we love. I think the event can do much, much more, building on the great work they've already done, especially with the brilliant events and opportunities they have for children. It was great to see more women in Dirtwars for example. We want to see the very best they can do, so a course or set-up that encourages that would be a great move. Also, we're a very white, middle-class bunch aren't we? It doesn't need to be that way.
- Waste management. Yes the site was clear at the end - well done everyone...but where's it all gone? Recycling stations/bins or transparency about where the waste goes, if it's sorted, etc. would be a great development.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from others who attended. How was it for you?

Last edited:
My ten pence worth :)

Thursday, after a few weeks of ups and downs and my camper doing again..... I admit I saw my arse and called jib, messaged the team and said go without me. Tickets printed, insurances paid etc, come and get the lot and gazebo etc. Luckily I have a tight circle who wouldn't let me back down. Thank-you. Xxx
I sorted a spare van the day before and me and daisy tetris'd as much as possible in a van half the size. We did it and only forget one thing, we'll.....15 uprights for the bike stands... we eventually sorted this mid morning once realised and unpacked. The drive down was shit, my head full of crap and 50mph limits most the way.

We arrived, got everyone in traders parking and set up. Weather was okay and as the days passed the stand morphed into something we were proud of, especially when giles and Lee arrived and was able to park the volvo on the stand!!!! Got chatting to a few folk and I didn't really get chance to wander around......much as every year tbh. So much I miss talking, organising and doing other things I didn't get to see people properly :( had a few drinks, felt a bit more relaxed and went to bed........woke up in a hurricane haha.

Friday, gazebo was well strapped down and no issues although the golden era crew had to restrap down, I don't think we had any damage etc and wer lucky compared to some of the bigger traders. Day passed well, engaged with the crowds as bestowed could, had mbuk working with us all featuring old tech, doddy nipped over for a yarn, as did hans rey and a load of others :) eventually sorted the pump track race after the amazing tonight bunny hop comp jez and golden era had reseracted, a real highlight for me imho. Came 4th on the pump track in old boys category, on riks/Lees old zinn. Bled after a couple of learning offs..... and was generally knackered haha. Got to walk around some of the trafe stands, some cool retro additions! Kona stand as ever was mega, the gt stand amazing, well done boys, more next year eh? And the tora stand delivered some cool old and new school bikes. Drank some ale, chatted with some media celebs and went to bed.

Saturday, pissed it down most the early morning so had a lay in, didn't set the stand up till a break in the weather and me and giles ventured to the retro xc.....hard but ace, course was kinda old school but short and honestly, suited most the retro/older riders especially on our bikes. The rts was definitely a good choice with the lumpy grass. Vibe was ace, it needs to be bigger or more participating next year. Talked to Rory Hitchens while racing and left him climbing, only time I could ever do this I red haha. Got rad coming back downhill and still haven't cleaned or checked the bike.... came 21st with little effort at the beginning so next year I want top 10....... dreaming haha. Didn't party, went to bed early after saying hi to folk and again, talking crap with people about old bikes.

Sunday, weather was better a day I did t do much other than empty the gazebo and lock my bikes back up as the stand was vastly smaller with today's show and shine. Wasn't sure if I was a judge again so cruised down after everyone and after a few chats was on the panel once again. This year the bikes topped 115 iirc, more than previous and that quality was amazing. I asked many what they're told 5 was and used this to decide a few bikes along with the other judges, doddy, guy kesteven, bob Allen and Clive gosling. Love it or hate it, a process has used and the top 10 had a real mix of tastes, bikes and reasons. Top 3 decided by crowd cheer was great i think. Took some of the pressure from me. Noticed a few mardy souls afterwards and finally returned to camp after doing some pap stuff. Didn't take any pics of the show arena, don't know why, loser vibes maybe took over again? Packed down later in the afternoon as the crowds reduced greatly and the weather turned a bit crap. Went home Sunday feeling happy, anxious, chilled but mardy with myself. Enjoy doing it but the stress and recent issues made this year hard personally. To those who gave me a hug, kick op the ass, biscuit and gifts, thank-you. Much love felt and appreciated.

May add more later? Still digesting and reflecting it all. Doddys YouTube video was great, mbuk/bike radars content should be amazing and pinkbikes write ups have been good also.

Will I do it all again, probably ;)

Back