Making a 'profit'

Exchange rates can also be a factor....

I know some stuff I have for sale looks like I'm making a lot on it - but the pound fell by 25% in relation to the danish krone over the last 12 months. So actually I'm below breaking even.

I agree with what's been said before. The market seems to be swings and roundabouts really as I've sold many parts for less then I paid but I've also had good ebay results where I've been able to take off the parts I want and sell on the rest without being out of pocket. I think most people would know if they were 'trying it on' and believe most members on this site play by the unwritten rules.
Personally any gear I buy off here would only get sold on (to a retrobiker) at a price to cover the original cost.

People will pay what they think something is worth

At the end of the day if someone doesn't do their research or doesn't know the market value of something than it's their mistake.

jango":23mysz2j said:
By all means ask market value, but.......where I think people have a problem with it, certainly I have a problem with it, is the blatantly obvious attempt at profiteering........a recent example that springs to mind was a Cannondale somethingorother.....ebay auction ended Sunday evening, advert was up on here Monday morning with a sob story and a £100 mark-up..........FFS the thing wasn't even in his possesion yet :evil:

:LOL:

But in a fine example of instant karma (if you believe in such things...), when he got hold of the bike it turned out to be in a bit of a state and probably not worth what he'd paid.

Tallpaul":2baop6rr said:
jango":2baop6rr said:
By all means ask market value, but.......where I think people have a problem with it, certainly I have a problem with it, is the blatantly obvious attempt at profiteering........a recent example that springs to mind was a Cannondale somethingorother.....ebay auction ended Sunday evening, advert was up on here Monday morning with a sob story and a £100 mark-up..........FFS the thing wasn't even in his possesion yet :evil:

But in a fine example of instant karma (if you believe in such things...), when he got hold of the bike it turned out to be in a bit of a state and probably not worth what he'd paid.

Can you show where the £100 mark-up was, or the sob story. I didn't see any in the thread you mention.

I think anything that is bought on Ebay can be sold on here for whatever you get for it. You found it and took the risk in spending your own cash so who cares if you go on to make a profit. If anyone else had wanted it they could have bid more for it and won it in the first place.

Much like the rest of the comments I don't agree with buing parts from fellow members and then selling them quickly for a profit, as we are supposed to be a friendly site helping each other out. But if the part comes from "outside" then who cares.

Sell your bikes for what you think they're worth, if the market disagrees they wont sell. Sleep easy! ;)

Incidentally I think the cannondale seller that took a pasting in "that" thread was treated harshly. Everyone was on his case about price despite the forum rules stating very clearly that it is not on. If you don't like it send them a PM and air your views. He wasn't asking for an extra £100 it was much less than that and I think for a friendly place we treated him like sh*t. It would have been much fairer to explain that perhaps he should have waited a bit before advertising the bike! :LOL:

Harryburgundy":20eos1m7 said:
Tallpaul":20eos1m7 said:
jango":20eos1m7 said:

Can you show where the £100 mark-up was, or the sob story. I didn't see any in the thread you mention.

Oh dear, I can see we're all going to fall out over this :?

He was charging more than he paid, and doing so within minutes of buying it - without even having it in hand to see if he'd got a bargain! It may have only been a few quid, but we're always only talking about a few quid - none of us are getting rich from old bits of bike (or are we? :roll: ).

As it turns out the poor chap has fallen on his sword as it sounds like only the frame and forks were worth keeping. He's gonna make a few quid from the wheels (they're non-retro so we don't care about them, right?) and fix it up as a project - Yay for him.

He could have avoided all this by waiting for it to turn up and listing it honestly. Whether he meant it or not, it looked teeny, tiny bit dishonest.

My real gripe relates to the ever increasing price of parts traded within RB, not because they are getting rarer but because a little gets added to the asking price each time...

Tallpaul":zvradbq3 said:
My real gripe relates to the ever increasing price of parts traded within RB, not because they are getting rarer but because a little gets added to the asking price each time...

Just as an example...

I buy a pair of wheels for £25 posted. If I then decide I don't want them, to sell them at £25 posted I am making a loss of at least £10. So to break even I sell them for £35.

What's wrong with that? Someone else might have really wanted them and think they're a bargain, and I haven't subsidised them out of my own pocket. So long as you don't tell lies and try to pass things off as different or better than they are, I really can't see a problem.

I agree, the particular instance we're talking about could seem a bit sneaky if you looked at it in a certain way, but it will catch up with the seller because he won't be able to sell his bike, or eventually any of his stuff.

very tricky for me as you know how I often come by stuff.

I try to sell at below market value to make the item attractive and for me to make beer money - I have no other source of income for the bike stuff and can only purchase stuff when my paypal account has something in it.

I make a mild profit on most bits but not obscene amounts - it all goes back into the pot.

Supply and demand does affect price more than anything - look at white Porcs....

chris667":1f749nvh said:
Just as an example...

I buy a pair of wheels for £25 posted. If I then decide I don't want them, to sell them at £25 posted I am making a loss of at least £10. So to break even I sell them for £35.

And by the same token he sells them on for £45 etc, etc.

Whether I'm right, wrong, boring, pedantic, idealistic, foolish or anything else you wish to call me (possibly hypocritical too) - that is the crux of my point :)

Back