MacRetro chat and rides thread

I've still got mine, great light for the price. Just a bit too bright if your thinking of using it for commuting as well though.

Wow that is cheap, I paid £35 for mine last year they are good but keep the battery and joint on the cable completely dry - I have blown 2 batteries riding in the rain. Replacement batteries are around £14

Also with it being so cheap when you get it, open it up and make sure there is no swarf floating around and that the heatsink is in good order and not too loose - thermal paste can help if needed.

kaiser":3w0kerd1 said:
I've still got mine, great light for the price. Just a bit too bright if your thinking of using it for commuting as well though.

Both lights I got last year had 3 modes, full brightness, not so bright and strobe.
The not so bright is, as you say still too bright not to blind people, but these lights in link seem to have 4 modes, "4 switch modes: Strong Brightness, Normal Brightness, Weak Brightness and Strobe( press button for 3 second)."
So they might be more useful as a commuting light.
If you do a search there are others around the same price (P+P), that have the 4 modes. Plus they are all pictured with orange peel reflectors, might not come with one though.

Might be useful for commuting in Edinburgh. A wee secret weapon against drivers who cut you up. Creep up behind them and then let them have the full blast in their mirrors :LOL:

More seriously they could be used in a low power mode for commuting if you made a hood for the top of the light so you could direct at the ground and aim the beam that way. A bit OTT though.

I reckon a switchable output mod wouldn't be too hard. FWIW I commute with 2 of These more than enough power for about town. When I get to the unlit country lanes I have a helmet mounted torch This kinda thing which helps up the illumination.

Oh and the free rears aren't too bad either. Though I have now added one of These which are very good.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back