MacRetro chat and rides thread

A couple of things...

Thing 1)

I've just ordered up a load of M5 x 12 stainless steel Allen bolts, and M5 stainless steel washers. I will have about 80 more washers than bolts, so if anyone is needing some washers give me a shout and they'll be in the post.

Thing 2)

My cycling buddy from Bathgate was in touch today and was asking if I fancied doing a C2C in July, from Fort William to Montrose. The route looks good, so I thought I 'd share it:
http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com/guided-holidays-scotland/coast-to-coast

This is after his shattered collarbone and broken ribs heal, following a prang on a jump at Glentress...

therealkw15":3p4g8x2y said:

Pardon my ignorance gentlemen (and ladies... or is that too much to hope for) but would such a route, or indeed the Bonar Bridge to Ullapool one, be do-able on a rigid bike?

I'm so retro I have never countenanced suspension, regarding it as 'heavy' and a passing fad, like the magic lantern, horseless carriage, or personal hygiene.

But it does seem to be catching on.

I have crossed the divide to full sus and much to my horror and shame find I quite like it :oops:

However off road touring fully rigid is of course doable with comparative ease, just dont expect to leap off drops etc ;)

therealkw15":3hxokuhy said:
therealkw15":3hxokuhy said:

Pardon my ignorance gentlemen (and ladies... or is that too much to hope for) but would such a route, or indeed the Bonar Bridge to Ullapool one, be do-able on a rigid bike?

I'm so retro I have never countenanced suspension, regarding it as 'heavy' and a passing fad, like the magic lantern, horseless carriage, or personal hygiene.

But it does seem to be catching on.

YES!

DONT!

SHEEP!

Thanks Rob, you've talked me out of it. I'll just reign in my Dukes of Hazzard tendencies when out on the trail.

With the money I've just saved by not buying a bike I could probably afford one of those wee sports video camera things- was it Kaiser or Zigzag who had bought one recently? Reviews, links?

Baltic here now BTW. Hailstones, air temperature about 4C, 5 degrees less than the sea! 25 knot winds. Pride comes before a fall...

Almost done with the Pipedream:

dsc2556m.jpg

Mary Bars, Oury grips, short RaceFace stem, Salsa QRs, SLX chainset and brakes, Fake Tora-SIDs and (my first) CK headset.

If I'm honest, slightly disappointed with the final outcome - was hoping the Mary Bars would be shinier (kind of a matt silver finish), and the grips don't quite match the saddle. Chain is also VERY tight.

Will run it SS for a while, and think about either grey XTR 1x9 or Alfine if I'm feeling flush later in the year.

Initial garden impressions... Steering is FAST with the short stem and the Marys.

that coast to coast sounds amazing - shame I'd never get a 7 day funpass, I'll need to wait till miniKen wants an epic - which will be a few years yet. Might be work doing it in sections though.

Lovely bike ZZ

ZZ that looks the total BAWZ :cool: I cannae condone your fork badge manoover but its looking great :D

Cheers gents, I think the pics probably flatter it a bit.

Kaiser, I do tend to agree with you, I'm not a fan of badging something up to look like something it's not, but the original Tora stickers were nasty as, and I just happened to notice the matching green SID set for sale at the same time. Chances are I'll get gil to make me a plain RS logo in green - I've got some other decals I need doing anyway.

Back