MacRetro chat and rides thread

Here, here Clubby.
Hope you have all had a good Christmas and managed to make the most of the decent weather. I had the four days off and managed a few rides as well as a lovely relaxing Christmas with the family. Will stick a couple of photos up in the show us thread.

Jamie

Happy New Year Velo and all here at Macretro.
I hope you all had a nice day and wish everyone a Happy and safe 2022. I also hope we can all get together at some point and ride together once again. Maybe a February Baltic Bawbags ride???

Jamie

In case you hadn't noticed, it's blowing a hoolie out there today folks! Turned a quick ride into a battle against the wind to get back home 😆
Hopefully not too many trees come down as the trails were just beginning to re-open after the last storm.

I don't class myself as up to much in regard to mtb but I still watch mtb vids with interest seeing what trails are out there. Most videos show trail totally beyond my talent but occasionally show up trails in Scotland I don't know about and some that are even possible for me having blue graded options. One such is They Leys of Halliburton across the main road from Ballo Woods favoured by the more extreme riders which is news to me. Yes it does have DH and Enduro spec trails which is me out but one video showed new trails, some graded blue and red on the lower flatter slopes. Those trails looked potentially fun or at least rideable by the likes of me.
Anyone got any experience of the Leys of Halliburton or Ballo Woods near Coupar Angus?

Last edited:
Anyone got any experience of the Leys of Halliburton or Ballo Woods near Coupar Angus?

Yup. I’ll start by saying to be wary of the trail gradings. They are graded by the kids building, not any official. In all honesty, I’d say the grades are at least one under what they’d be at a trail centre.

Ballo side, I can get down bits of it, but have to walk others. Don’t ride there much.
Been to the fishery side a few times. Lots of new tracks since lockdown. Blues nearest the road are definitely reds. Blues further in are flatter but still a good test. That said, the cliff path is stunning and some amazing views.
Gets very muddy over winter, but happy to organise a ride in spring or summer.

Seen a post on Fife mtb page on Facebook that a lot of trees down in pitmedden again.

Just back from the wilds of Fife and yes unfortunately there quite a few trees down after the last run of storms. Clink has no new trees down and a few from Arwen have been cleared. Trails to the left of the main fire road climb have a few down, as does the climb up c##t hill. Both exits to Litmus Test blocked. Flow trails are clear thank god, but didn’t go out as far as Gruffalo. Heart of Darkness has lots down, but mainly quite small trees, so should be easy to clear. Didn’t hang around there as it was blowy today and lots of cracks and creaks coming from above. Hopefully doesn’t get any worse this winter.
Worst part was actually the small branches and twigs. Trails were littered and was constantly stopping to pull sticks out of spokes and mech. Need a good sweep.

Latest posts

Back