MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re: Re:

RobMac":1mldy4il said:
Any reservations about using a threaded steerer threadless? :?

I know it "shouldn't" be done, but I've done it before, and am currently in the same situation with some forks I fitted to my retro ride.
I'm going to fit an ahead stem onto a threaded steerer, hopefully a short term measure until I figure out a more permanent solution, I'm thinking the worst that could happen is that the stem might slip round under stress/a crash (not a bad thing in a crash as it might prevent something breaking). The stem won't pop off the top of the steerer as the star fangled nut, bolt, and topcap should hold it all together.

That's how I see it Anyway.

Re:

My thought is that it "should" be OK but I would be worried about the threads cut into steerer being stress risers with the Ahead stem creating leverage that wasn't there when used with a quill stem. The threaded part is supported by the top bearing nut and the load spread along the length of quill but used with an Ahead stem that support and load spread wouldn't be there. Now if the steerer was long enough to cut off the threaded part or there was just a short length of threads near top of stem that's a different story.

Back