MacRetro chat and rides thread

Pencil me in for taking over the Pentlands run but I cannot guarantee it'll be anywhere near as good as Barry would lead. I tend to be more familiar with the northern end of the Pentlands nearest to Edinburgh.

Re:

One for you woodworkers

12592257_1008535929238420_3741387354307806503_n.jpg

10606118_1008535932571753_4820958241617789914_n.jpg

1934961_1008535925905087_657120739927700293_n.jpg

Re: Re:

firedfromthecircus":2bn7j4e1 said:
..Wheelbuilding is not a 'black art'. It's just a matter of being methodical and having the patience to be so...

...and not talking to someone while doing so or you'll end up with your valve hole in the tight spot. :oops:

I reckon the best way to learn is to pick up a scrap wheel from your lbs, dismantle it, and then rebuild. First take careful note of what spoke goes where and the crossings. Do that a few times and you're gold.

You already have a wheel jig. It's called an upside down bike.

Re: Re:

epicyclo":rjk6w6xh said:
I reckon the best way to learn is to pick up a scrap wheel from your lbs, dismantle it, and then rebuild. First take careful note of what spoke goes where and the crossings. Do that a few times and you're gold.

You already have a wheel jig. It's called an upside down bike.

That's how I started. Even now I keep a finished wheel next to me for reference.
The part I struggle with is spoke lengths. No two online calculators ever give the same length.

Re:

Before I built a pair of wheels all I'd done was replace 2 worn out rims on wheels on my wife's bike. Taped the rim to old one, transferred the spokes then trued it.
I wanted a pair of Hope hubbed disc wheels so I bought hubs off ebay, spokes and rims from CRC, waited till my wife and daughters had left the country :roll: , they went to New Orleans to visit a friend of my wife, so that I could swear and lose the plot without upsetting them. :mrgreen:

I had a couple of wheel-building articles from MTB magazines from the early '90s, one of which is very good with lots of stage by stage photos. As Brian said an upside down bike works great, although I used a bare frame and a set of rigid forks, each mounted when needed in a Workmate type folding bench. Think I used clubby's trick of having a finished wheel for reference too, to stop me going too far the wrong way.

I also now have a PDF of Roger Musson's guide, loads of good info in it including dimensions/drawings of jigs/tools for wheel-building. Not used it though, yet. :facepalm:

Back