MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

It is, it is! Currently planning a wee road tour to take in the area :D

Re: Re:

RobMac":3c1m47qh said:
Any body used/using mechanical disc brakes, what are they like? :?

Yup - on the Cape Wrath (shimano ones) and had Avid BB5s to which are destined for the Explosif. Also Hope ones.

What can I say - they slow you down when you pull the trigger :D

I refuse to use hydraulics on a bike unless it puts out at least 50BHP at the rear wheel - and yes I do have a couple of motorbikes with cable operated or rod operated brakes :p

Hi mate
I am using Avid BB5 on my 1X1 and Avid BB7 on my Pugsley. Really like them both, the 7 has adjustment on both sides while the 5 only has pad adjustment on the outboard side of the rotor. To be honest theres not much in it. They both work great in all weathers and are pretty good on pads. While I may not ride that hard I do give them both a lot of use on some rough and wet muddy terrain and they work consistently. Easy to maintain and as mentioned are easy on pads. Mine run the Avid discs as standard, 160mm.
Would recommend for the sort of stuff I do.
Jamie

RobMac":4ecfmxko said:
What I've read so far BB7's seem to be the bench mark for mechanical disc's, is that true?????
Anyway thanks guys :)

So far. It's a cable brake so how well it works is dependent on the quality of the cable and of the lever.

Use a cheap brake outer and it will compress, thereby using up lever travel. Use a crappy lever and it will flex, thereby also wasting lever travel. Combine the 2 and you get brakes like a hydraulic with air in the system, ie woeful. I suspect that thee folk who complain about BB5s or 7s have mastered the art of crappy cabling. :)

I use solid outer as much as possible and good levers. The result is a mechanical brake with no wasted travel and a good feel. I replaced some very expensive hydraulics with BB7s because they worked better IMO.

I have the TRP mechanicals on one bike. They have a double piston action and are very nice. Avid had better look to its BB7 laurels because the TRPs are easier to set up.

Re:

Have 2 sets of BB7s and quite like them. They are a pain in the arse to set up compared to hydraulics. Once set up they work fine but not the outright power or feel of hydraulics. It's probably the feel that I think they fall down on.
If I was buying, I'd still go hydraulic.

Re:

What Clubby said, I bought a pair for the Pug and they have been absolutely fine and as Brian said everything I've picked up points to quality cabling being a significant factor. I've used Jagwire but I'd try Yokozuna which allegedly work very well. But the performance of the new Shimano brakes and the price would have me picking hydro every time, the BB7s still have there place but it would be in the instances where hydro levers won't work (drop bar bikes when using bar end shifters for instance).

clubby":2o1zli9o said:
..It's probably the feel that I think they fall down on...

That's your cables, not the brake. Try mine sometime.

If you want the hydraulic feel, use solid outer like I have here:

Back