MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

After a bit of research I got my lx canti levers to work with xt vee's by using a wee widget called a problem solver.

works a treat

Re:

Anyone know about Gripshift? Been having a fight with some SRT-800 X-Ray units this evening. I got the left (front) to work fine, but the right (rear) moves a few clicks and then feels like the cable tension is too much for it and won't move any further, it also seems to shift up more than one gear on the cassette with each click :?

I tried swapping the shifters over but then neither would work! :?

What was supposed to be "I'll just fit the gear cables to the bike, shouldn't take long..." turned into an all evening epic.... and still the gear cables aren't fitted :facepalm:

Re:

I use Sachs/Sram Powergrip Waveys which are Shimano compatible, can't remember if SRT800 X-Rays are.
They are.

While looking for the answer, came across this review, http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/shifte ... 42crx.aspx
Seem to remember reading stuff years ago about them being hard to shift, a lot of the reviewers say they are very hard to shift, don't index properly.
Looks like the same problems you have unfortunately.

Re:

Thanks, I think I'll have another look at them next week, accompanied by a beer, and see how if I can figure out what the problem is.

Re:

My chipped tooth pales into insignificance tonight as my friend Sally lies in hospital with a fractured pelvis :(
She was out on a road ride with a group this morning. They went to pass a parked lorry which then started to move off. Lead rider has , for one reason or another , pulled hard on the brakes . Sally ran into him and went down hard and was then run over by a following rider .
I was meant to be on the ride but it was an 0830 start and I couldn't be bothered.
Another stark reminder that cycling is potentially dangerous.
Keep your wits about you !

sobering indeed, sorta gave me some perspective as i sit here wi a sore throat raging with my sister inlaw for coming round here with the lurgy because she was bored sitting about hers :facepalm:

Re:

Dangerous stuff this cycling lark. Personally I find this peleton stuff you roadies do scares the poo out of me anyway. Too much potential to slam into each other as some of the TDF crashes testify :shock:

Back