MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Ummm...hey guys...not sure this is even the right place to be posting this really but can anyone help with a plan I have forming in my mind...should add I am exhausted from working 7 days a week, slightly poorly and drinking cider in small quantity's....so this may never happen! But a girl can dream...

Want a holiday in the borders, may only be a few days, not sure if will drive up (dodgy old car) or fly, and this will affect whether I can bring the bike or not, so can anyone recommend a decent, cheap inn or hotel to stay in, and somewhere to hire a bike if I do fly?? (i.e, not got my own bike!)

Areas I want to go to for old times sake would be Melrose, Peebles, and deffo Rosslyn chapel, have never done that and want to go, so places to stay in those areas and poss hire??

Thanks in advance, and may even see you on a ride if I make it! Would be early May at...earliest... :facepalm:

Kaz

Re:

I'm afraid i cant tell you whats cheap accomodation wise as being a local I stay in my house not guest houses hotels. But give us a shout if in Roslin area as I'm local to there if you want to do some biking. I've a good knowledge of the local trails.

Same as Velo really. But, there are wigwam hut things available for rent at the bottom of Glentress. No idea how cheap they are though. There is plenty of B+B options in Peebles and probably a few in Innerleithen too. Alpine bikes at Glentress do bike rental.

Maybe worth having a look at the tweedlove site here as there may be an event you would like to coincide your visit worth, or otherwise they have loads of information about the area from a cyclists pov.

And if you want to visit the chapel at Roslin be prepared to be fleeced!

Re:

Ah, thanks for the info guys, looks like it could be on!! If I get a new exhaust for the car first... :facepalm:

Is Glentress where the DH course is or was?? Have a vague recollection from years ago of standing looking at it from the bottom and some kid coming hurtling down it and I thought he wasn't going to stop....

Thinking may base myself out of Peebles and have my own bike, so can just pootle about, and do some sight seeing by car too, though perhaps not Roslin by the sounds of it (unless I can find a hole in the fence!! ;) )

Innerleithen had/has the downhill course. Just a couple from miles from Peebles.

You can see the outside of the chapel and the old castle for free, and go for a ride in Roslin glen (perhaps even guided by Velo), just quite expensive to get into the chapel these days. Dan Brown has a lot to answer for! :LOL:

Re:

lol, bloody yanks, eh, almost as bad as us soft southern shandies! :LOL:

Innerleithen, that was it. Well, we'll see how the selling of bike bits goes to fund the road trip, but looking good for the first hol in years...

You can get into Roslin Chapel for free if you go on Sunday. Its still an operating Episcopal Church and thus its ungodly to charge people to worship there on the sabbath day ;)

Re:

so, Easter hols coming up, off work from 7th -23rd April, are there any MacRetro rides going on between those dates? Anyone fancy a ride? Any top tips for places to ride? (Within a couple hours drive).
Think I will check out the new trails around Glenlivet at some point.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2zypsqov said:
so, Easter hols coming up, off work from 7th -23rd April, are there any MacRetro rides going on between those dates? Anyone fancy a ride? Any top tips for places to ride? (Within a couple hours drive).
Think I will check out the new trails around Glenlivet at some point.

Fancy coming down for the spring epic at Glen Clova?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=285842

We need to get you sorted with macretro rider badge, should have done that after Aviemore last year. Sorry about that :oops:

Back