MacRetro chat and rides thread

cheers TK, I'll bear that in mind. At the mo more interested in getting the charging issue resolved for the LED cree jobbies. which reminds me I need to get back to OCP.

issue is I keep overcharging or at-least making chargers pop. would the same people make more robust chargers with inbuilt protection ??

velomaniac":1quxe9h4 said:
Discovered via another thread that you can upgrade your old bulb lights to LED as retrofit LED bulbs with all the needed circuitry incorporated now exist.
http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html
thus gmac, you could get that old twin light you had the first time we night rode back into action.

Thanks for that link.

I've been trying to stuff the guts of a LED bike light into my 1930s bike headlight. Suddenly the job looks much simpler. :)

Call me mad but taking all the time spent fiddling around with wires, solder maybe work ,maybe not. Headaches and funds outlaid, which canadd up before you know it would you not just eb better buying one of those nice Exposure ones.

Not amazing run times but if you must footer then you could cobble together a spare battery pack :?

Just a thought :)

Have often thought that myself dyna-ti. Picked up my lumicycle set up in their summer sale 4 years ago for £150. Ok it's not that cheap but it's never missed a beat, works in the rain, and the run time on the battery is still as good as it was.
My mate is an electrical engineer and used to design mobile phone batteries that went in Nokias. He used to slag me off for buying an off the shelf set up and decided to knock one up for another friend of ours. It lasted less then 3 rides in the real world.
For me something's are just worth buying properly.

Yup, I spent £20 on a Light and Motion Solo Logic MV light off ebay from 2007. The previous owner had bought it new and it never missed a beat. I charged up the battery and it worked perfectly first time. I bought this light after last months GT nightride where although I was impressed by the performance of these modern chinese Cree lamps i was not impressed with their reliability/build quality. A quality light bought second hand is still a quality light plus I have discovered parts are still available, upgrades are easy and I can have my NiMH battery pack proffessionally re celled or fit nearly any of the L&M new LiION battery packs. Finally it produces a warm yellow light which I prefer to the ghostly white LED light.

Back