MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Re:

Haha :), I'll need to have a better read of that.

Another great Strathpuffer completed :D
A few retroriders taking part, there was Brian, Kaiser and Dr S (Si) doing it solo and myself, Gilm and Jason along with a couple of others from the Fatbike Forum on the Fatty Owl team.
I was 26+ on my 1X1 this year and I think it was the best option as it was a giant mudfest. The only place I had to get off and push was on the steep downhill as the mud was around 8 to 12 inch thick and wet like concrete, around a kilometre of it. But there was one section about 100 metres long that was just like porridge.
A good weekend though, as usual.
We did OK as our Fatty Owl team came in third in class :D
DSC_0068 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1cvtiis9 said:
Another great Strathpuffer completed :D
...The only place I had to get off and push was on the steep downhill as the mud was around 8 to 12 inch thick and wet like concrete, around a kilometre of it....

NB That is pushing DOWNHILL.

Could be a new sport niche. :)

Question

1.How many of you own a fat bike ?

Could you chaps supply me with some measurements ? In respect of a mudguard :)

Ok. With standard guards, there will be a measurement that the support rods will be, regarding width,It would be not too wide to extend beyond the edges of the stays,but wide enough so that the guard support rods clear the edges of the tyres
Clearly a fatbike would be considerably wider- I can do 100mm wide as this is the width of the balsa, plus maybe 12mm each side for whatever the rods will be supported on.
Also would need an approximate distance to the ,whatever the rods will attach to on the frame. P clips maybe ,i dont know, whats down there or didnt they consider guards.- still to look into this. so the rods as long enough to lift it well clear of the tyre.
As this is cold laminating i need to make a former(youve seen one before ;) ) to bend the layers around.
Limited to length of layers so im not sure if theres enough to wrap around much of the wheel or whether 1/2 around covering the majority of the mud slinging bits.
The diameter of the wheel including tyre.
A sid eon pic for me to judge how the seat tube end will be secured and to what

Just so ye know the letters on it, or on the top layer will be glued on then cut out, leaving a negative top ,the sheet below will be stained probably black so that it shows through at the letters.

To further add to your excitement, i'd take note that i dont actually ,and am unlikely ever to, own a fat bike ;)

Attachments

• RIMG1239 (Small).JPG
    RIMG1239 (Small).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 278
Hi mate
That sounds like a brilliant idea!
I will put my name down for a pair for the Pugsley.
I was looking at a pair from the States as there are two companies who do wooden 'fenders' for bikes. I didn't want to go to all that trouble and thought I could either have a go myself or get someone local to do it. There is a guy locally who I stored his wooden kiln? smoker? type contraption for bending and heating lengths of special timber, but would far prefer a pair from our own Dyna 'Woodman' :LOL:
I will get some measurements and pics for you mate. I know that mine has mudguard eyelets on the rear and rack eyelets on the front.
I would, and this is just me being a bit forward, but I would prefer them not to have Fatbike, just a nice lovely contrasting stain. (but then again I could just be a knob ;)

Jamie

Back