MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

I recently got the ss Pugsley which came with Knards. As I expected they are sketch central on mud, leaf mold etc etc. I had hoped to be able to put up with them through the winter as they are light and roll well but I figured I was gonna lose my teeth before too long. I haven't had that many front end saves in one weekends riding in my life!

So, I bit the bullet and bought 60tpi Nates. I expected them to be death drag extreme. That's what everyone tells you online. So I lowered my gearing a wee bit to compensate, but I still half expected to have them on eBay by monday.

Out for a decent ride on Sat and again on Monday morning and my conclusion is Nates are awesome in the shitty winter weather this county serves up. Drag is up a bit, but even singlespeed not so much as to make me hate the ride. The grip is almost as good as Bud and Lou on Clownshoes, and that is saying something.

So I'd say get some Nates Keith. 120tpi are not gonna be back until January but Triton had stock of the 60tpi ones last week and they are only 40g heavier per tyre than the 120s. You could go for Van Helgas which I hear grip better than Nates and roll faster, but they are about £125 per wheel! :shock: Like most things, you pays yer money..........

Re:

I do believe that the higher tpi roll better, not through weight though but the suppleness of the carcass.

Re:

Nates for me too. Charlie has them on for £40 at the moment. 120tpi preferable if you're going to run low pressures on the beach but for trail riding the cheap ones are fine.

I run mine down to @ 8 psi and ride a lot of beach and have never had a problem at all. I am using large Marge rims which are double walled so they are a bit better than a single wall rim for running low pressure, I run mine alongside Brians 120tpi and Andys as well and maybe theirs are more supple and lighter, but I have never been left behind :)
£40 is a great deal :)

Jamie

Thought I better copy and paste this here from the general thread as it is Fatbike stuff.

Well Global fatbike Day was upon us and so was some pretty atrocious weather. From when I left home to when I returned 12 and half hours later, it didn't stop raining I don't think.
Another good, but different day out.
To quote another epic: 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times'

Well, it was maybe not as long as planned, but hey, sometimes that's the way it goes. It was pretty Baltic, wet, freezing, windy, pretty much winter :)
We did have a late start as I had to drop my Pugsley off and sort details for a freshen up and makeover first.
Picked Brian up and then dropped the Pugs off. Afterwards we sat in the Velocity café having a late breakfast/snack before heading to Brians to pick up his van and bike.
A quick cuppa and sort the bikes and we were off. I did bring my 1X1 with me seen as my Pugs was stripped down but Brian kindly offered me the loan of one of his fatbikes to use instead. From the diverse selection available I chose the 9zero7 as I had yet to ride one of these beauties. A larger size than what I am used to but once we set the seat way down it felt great, reach was nice without feeling stretched. The ride didn't disappoint either, noticeably light compared to my Pugs, though I do run Large Marges and proper fat tubes :cool: , different bars that I really liked the feel of as well, I have been using the Titec Jones H bars on my 1X1 and Pugs for a few years now so quite often feel strange when using other bars but these felt natural and comfortable from the off. Gearing was sweet as well, quite easy, maybe a bit easier than I normally run on my own singlespeeds but was welcomed for the few steep climbs. We didn't go much further than the first vitrified fort and at the summit decided that the surrounding clouds obscuring the mountains and the sleety rain wasn't going to let up too soon so we made our way down.
A short while later we were enjoying a cuppa in Square Wheels before heading back to Brians for a quick cuppa and then I had to drive back home.
Normally I would be disappointed with a short ride after a 5 odd hour round trip, but to tell the truth I wasn't, as I had had a productive day as I got the Pugsley work finalised and started, after much indecision. Hopefully it should turn out nice.
Thanks to Brian for letting me ride his 9Zero7, its always nice to ride something different.
Anyway, Happy Global fat Bike Day!

Jamie

DSCN2070 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2074 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Two Fat
DSCN2077 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2080 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

BM2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2081 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

BM1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2086 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Well done for getting out guys.
I had to work then had the mother in laws 60th party.

Re:

just took a few photos at gullane of our ride there,need lessons how to use a camera :facepalm:
half the pics have a paw on the lense the other half have rain drops on the lense :facepalm:

Attachments

• DSCF0070 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0070 (Medium).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 563
Mate, we weren't out for long at all, really, it was pretty short and sweet.
A good day nonetheless as had a trip to the big smoke. ;)
We had plenty of the cold, icy stuff and being at the top of the very big hill in the highlands meant there was nowhere to hide :LOL:
It was good to ride something different though, it was quite light, so I really must get my Holy Darryls built.
Still good pic kenaltobelli, any weather ride is better than no ride. I've seen loads of the pics on the forum and on facebook and it looked like a great ride out.
It is typical though that the day I had to get the Pugs striped and away was GFBD :LOL: Luckily Brian had me covered.

Jamie

Re:

the ride around north berwick was a funny old do'
trying to get the right balance of clotheing ,in the end a lot were just shorts and top
no need for a coat until ,you stop to fix something.
to say its dec and the rain is warm :D
enjoyed the ride and did better over the rocks on the 907 i have :cool:

Many thanks go to Brian for picking up my Pugsley frame from the painters and taking it home today :-* I drove down to Brians and picked it up tonight after work and am not too long in, about 10.30 or so.
When I seen it at Brians I was a bit underwhelmed, but Brian did say it stood out more in the daylight. Either way it looked better in silver than it did in white and I did say that the flake would be subtle and small, like glitter. I think Brian thought it would be really magenta, hence why he calls it Priscilla Queen of the desert.
There was a fair bit of rough edging to it that I have spent the last couple of hours trimming, but its all fine and has come up very well. I am far happier with it now, to be fair I think I only was seeing the negatives when I seen it at Brians for only a few minutes before putting it in the car, and this was after a long busy day and then a two hour drive. Brian did remind me it was a big ask to do what I wanted in powdercoat. It required 2 coats the colour and then the clear with a flake and to be really fair they did as I asked or wanted, but due to this it is thick :D
Anyway I am really pleased with it and will hopefully over the next few days get it decaled and back together.
Unfortunately I just realised that the old style decals I got for it in white don't have a pair of fork stickers, so will sort that with Gil. I will also change a few bits in the new year like stem and seatpost from black to silver but for now the old gear will go back on it.
The frame looks for all intents and purpose like it is a straight silver but in the light you pick up the magenta. The flake is very small and quite subtle but hopefully on those rare Scottish days when the sun shines it will then stand out.
I am quite pleased with it as it was pretty much what I envisaged in my head and will hopefully look OK in the daylight.
Its silver with a nod to the old purple Pugsley ;)

Jamie

Silver
DSC_1119 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Bit of light and .......
DSC_1113 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1118 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

You really only see it when the light hits it
DSC_1129 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back