MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Me too :)
LHT, 1X1 and the Pugsley :)

Looking at a Big Dummy frame soon hopefully. For the little one, you understand ;)

Jamie

At last, a niche I dont fit. I still dont want a Surly. Sooner or later though they'll build something I do want. In fact I reckon its a straight race between Surly and On-One to create a new niche and fill it !

I don't do niche's either Velo but these three bikes between them have me out riding more than ever before. I have most bases covered and they work for me. Surly is not a trendy name, especially in the Fat bike world with everything being bigger lighter etc.
I just think they are good honest steel bikes built to a budget, and that is what makes them appealing to me, singlespeed ready influences greatly ;)
They get me out and riding and that's good enough for me regardless who makes them.

Jamie

any recommendations for a winter fat tyre reasonably cheap ?

if anybody is looking to move on a couple i could be interested.

Nates have worked for me over the past few years and have no trouble, mud, snow etc.
Unfortunately I don't have any for sale but there are usually a few on the 'other' forum ;)

Jamie

Re:

I would only recommend Nates to my worst enemy, even then I'd have to be in a bad mood. I'm sure they are rebadged Russian tractor tyres. I rode a Floater at the Puffer and didn't really want for anything more ( well maybe I did and thats why I tried the Nates), I may look for something with a little more bite this year but not much.

Re:

funny thing tyres ,in a group ride last year on one part of packed ice one lad on floaters
easy rode a fire road.
on the subject of fat bikes will be in north berwick on sat for a ride out few others are going ;)
back to tyres i have dillengers on one and endermorphs ont other, endermorphs are interesting :D

Re:

It's almost worth gettin a Chubby Bike just for the tyre name's alone ............................... settle am kiddin :mrgreen:

Each to their own I suppose as I get what your saying Klaus. Though I rode an On one with floaters on some singletrack that was a bit wet, not too much and I thought they sucked big time, they were skittering everywhere. Real unnerving in the front. So definitely not my style. I like my Nates and the last two years I haven't even put the Larry or Endomorph back on for the summer. I like the Larry and Endo for the beach and rocks.
As I said, each to their own, and you ride a good bit harder and faster than me, I more tool around in the mountains but do find the Nates good allrounders and am also assured of the front sticking whether rock or mud etc.
I must say that one of the nicest confidence inspiring tyres I have is the Dirt Wizards on the 1X1, they seem to roll well, stick like poo to a blanket and wear OK to boot. Though I have heard some people on another forum who run the 29'er version complaining bitterly about them.
All my tyres are the cheaper 27tpi versions as well, so heavier than the more expensive higher tpi versions. Weight is not really a priority saving on my steel Pugsley with large Marge rims. Though I did recently buy a set of Rolling Darryl rims to build up this winter. I weighed both and there is a difference between the two of about 70 grams from memory, a bit strange. They feel a lot lighter than the large Marges anyway.

Jamie

Back