MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

I suppose a full-suss BSO with steel rear arm would be a good starting point because the seat/chain-stays could be welded on to brackets to fit to suspension mounts, with correct spacing for rear hub. Let's face it as you say it ain't gonna be no light-weight. :mrgreen:

Jeez, yer a sneeky bastard, now I'm "discussing" it with you. :facepalm: Feck aff. ;)

Fat bikes are re inventing the wheel, everyones at it so why not me.....

Go on OCP, go on, go on and as Mrs Doyle would say GO ONNNNNNNNNN :twisted:

The Ken":2m9yuq1n said:
16 inch wheels with 4 inch tyres might not be enough Velo, my kite buggy has 3 of those and dig in pretty heavily on dry sand - fine on the wet though.

Ssssh! don't tell him. :)

velomaniac":2m9yuq1n said:
...I do have a daft idea for a narrow track trike or fitting wheels in pairs although that might muck up cornering, so there are options.

Not daft at all. I was thinking the same, and I'm not daft, am I?

velomaniac":2m9yuq1n said:
...You should join in this silly comp, give epicyclo some proper competition. He's an engineer I'm just a bodgineer so even if my works, it won't be as good as his.

The more the merrier. Make for a great snow retro meet.

I'm no engineer though, definitely a low class bodger - just got a few years more wrecking experience.

The Ken":2m9yuq1n said:
:) it would be like trying to re-invent the wheel velo

What's wrong with that? Have you never rolled an equilaterally curved heptagon (50p piece)? :)

Rolls perfectly, it's just the axle that's the problem. Been trying to figure how to make that one work for a while. :)

this is real bogineering... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24524027

And OCP I think you have the parts to make this.......

771359d1360735048-full-suspension-fatty-fat-marin.jpg

The Ken":12p25ays said:
And OCP I think you have the parts to make this.......

771359d1360735048-full-suspension-fatty-fat-marin.jpg

That's troo, but I think I promised the essential part to sumdy, mind you if he disnae want it....................

I remember that thread now on MTBR.
Basically that is what I was thinking about with a full-suss BSO, only rigidly mount arm. Instant fatty.
The high mount point for swing-arm gives the wider modified arm clearance to cranks. All velo would need to do was ensure the arm dropouts were lower to raise BB height.

There ye are velo, I've done the thinking, you get bodgeneering. ;)

Met the builder, seen the bike in action at Fat Forth. Welding was required and the creator of this full sus Marin stated the swingarm was not really up to the job and would need beefing up. Consensus also was it needed longer travel forks as it was nose heavy. None the less a cool fat full sus and when someone elses proper fat bike needed a mechanical fix only Al (Analytic-Al) the Marin Creator and me, the other bodged fat rider had the right tools on us. Bodgers have their uses.

old_coyote_pedaller":jop61t4f said:
I suppose a full-suss BSO with steel rear arm would be a good starting point because the seat/chain-stays could be welded on to brackets to fit to suspension mounts, with correct spacing for rear hub. Let's face it as you say it ain't gonna be no light-weight. :mrgreen:

Jeez, yer a sneeky bastard, now I'm "discussing" it with you. :facepalm: Feck aff. ;)

A canny believe am following this p1sh thread :shock:
Dinny give innta the DARKSIDE OCP :facepalm:

velomaniac":5qhbgugv said:
...and when someone elses proper fat bike needed a mechanical fix only Al (Analytic-Al) the Marin Creator and me, the other bodged fat rider had the right tools on us. Bodgers have their uses.

Al's the Uri Geller of bike bodgers. Give him a spoon and he can make anything. Oh, alright - and a bit of carbon fibre.

RobMac":1am6h28u said:
old_coyote_pedaller":1am6h28u said:

A canny believe am following this p1sh thread :shock:
Dinny give innta the DARKSIDE OCP :facepalm:

There's nae feckin chance o' that Rob. I'd rather slam the lid of a grand piano shut on my knob than have a fatty.

Thankfully nobody I know has a grand piano or I'd be in trouble. :shock:

Back