Losing Weight - Single Speed

al":11vvme7q said:
25lb single speed! :shock: Blimey!!

my Surly is about 18 1/2 and it's running a sus fork at the mo'

I'm not running anything silly light either. Apart from the wheels.

Al, :D

its was a guess, the bike started at 31lbs..maybe i should weight it :LOL:

25lbs is rather a lot for a singlespeed.
I'd look at a lighter frame if you're really obsessed with weight saving.

I used to do my old short commute on BMX with one rear brake, never had a prob, after all brakes on a BMX is an overprescription these days! Wierd thing is ever since then on other commute bikes I rely mostly on rear power skids to stop, more dramaic i think aswell as a funny habit!

On my courier bike the back brake was on the blink with my new hardware in the post, and guess what thats when that dick pulled across in front without warning. My skillz0rs must be up cos i avoided an endo somehow!

Post a pic and spec of yer bike up, and we'll have a pic of it.

My cheap n cheerful v equipped single speed Revolution Courier Race weighs in about 25lbs - started off a quoted 26 with gears, standard bits and no mud guards..

look at tyres and wheels, though 500g brakes do seem hefty on a roadie, can get 2 v's for that surely. :) HTH

slick's aren't always the light option!

Yes you can whack the pressures up and most do roll well.
Although some of them are a little lumpy!!

Post a wanted ad on here for some light semi slicks. I have had a few pairs for much cheapness in the past. because light tyres are in general more puncture prone some people really can't get on with them on their trails. Thorns particulaly.

I hope this blather is of some help? Happy days! Al :D

Just consider the weight extra training :D it sounds cruel but are you trying to make a silk purse from a pigs ear? Have a look at clockworkgazz's or jimihendrix's SS easily under 20lbs and probably under £200 if not very close.

Convert it to a fixed wheel and then you can safely remove the back brake...and maybe even the front ;)

Weight saved!

Daft to remove the front brake IMO.

Firstly you are talking of saving a couple of hundred grams. You can lose more off clothing or (dare I say it) yourself. :shock:
Exactly how much time etc will this save you on your commute anyway???

Secondly no back brake can provide the power of a front one, simple physics means that the firmer the brake retards you, the more you weight goes onto the front, lifting the back. Typically it provides around a quarter of the braking.

Thirdly, you might have some awkward questions to answer if you were unfortunate enough to have had an accident. If you have removed the brake it would count as contributory negligence. Lawyers for motorists have already tried this with cyclists not wearing helmets and dressed like a bin man in Hi-Viz. Beware, you risk killing any compensation if a chav bumps you.

will post pics of bikes and spec in a bit, just watched obama and his men take off (i work at dresden airport)

the bike started out as a '07 Dawes XC 2.4, their top of the range machine at the time

ive put light weight rigid forks, removed all the gears, have an onza single speed conversion, scwalbe city jets, light weight tubes..

i cant fit v's as have no bosses

i will have to check the weight i might have been exagerating...

Attachments

• IMG00712.jpg
    IMG00712.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG00713.jpg
    IMG00713.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG00714.jpg
    IMG00714.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG00715.jpg
    IMG00715.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 444
not a bad looker

i dont think there is much you can do to significantly lose large amounts of weight . thers isnt any obvious parts that stand out as being overtly porky

drilling rims is worth between 5-8g . not a great deal granted but it just costs time

looking at the height of the bars it looks like you ride very upright ? if you can tolerate a lower position the aerodynamic gain would be worth a lot more than losing weight

Back