Looking for info. Vintage Raleigh Sports 10 Speed

DesertRyder

GT Fan
This popped up somewhat local to me. Priced cheap at $25 USD. I was interested in the downtube shifters for my Raleigh Grand Prix but the more I look at it the more it interests me. I'm liking the color.
I have tires, pedals, brake pads, and a seat in my spares bin. Adding some axle wing nuts and new white bar wrap would look good IMO. I'm not into fenders so they would come off.

It's a Raleigh Sports, early 70's(?). Has wrap around seat stays. What are those front hubs? Has those crazy brake levers. Cottered cranks. Nutted axles. Lugged frame, I presume steel. Steel rims? Top tube pump pegs. Also, it has that wonderful kickstand..LOL 🤮

Waiting to see if the seller sends me driveside pics.

Listing pics:
454160979_421740777570381_6603471265122484510_n.jpg

453985781_719801180272463_5790712721276729316_n.jpg

454008651_492967730104638_1734960305818777027_n.jpg

I don’t know if Raleighs came with wrap-over stays in the UK. Someone more knowledgeable would have to confirm. I reckon in the UK that would have been branded as a Carlton and they are well respected.

Age-wise, my gut feeling is that it’s probably mid or late 60s and I’m basing that on the cottered cranks and steel components. I *think* by the 70s Raleigh were using alloy and square taper on these sorts of bikes. That said, cottered cranks and steel levers persisted on their town bikes well into the 1980s.

Definitely worth $25 if you can get the bits to fix it up out there in the US. Looks pretty much complete and in good condition 👍

3 speed Sports roadsters and 10 speed Sports "race" bikes were marketed at the same time? Just seems odd for two completely different styles of bikes. Those chain rings look to only be about 3 teeth different; again very odd. I assume it has some Raleigh badging somewhere. Is there the typical 3 hole head badge pattern for a Raleigh?

Yeah. I found that thread and I'm a member on that forum. I asked there also.
Seems to be equipped with Huret Allvit shifters, deraileurs, and a Raleigh/Nicklin cranlset.
That's about the most info I've gotten about it.

Still waiting for the seller to respond.... :rolleyes:

Ah, found it. I am firmly in the randyjawa camp when it comes to bikes like these. As long as a bike's size and geometry are good, the tubing doesn't matter all that much, as long as you're not going to race it.

And because they are not collector's items you can do pretty much anything with them without being run off the forums covered in tar and feathers. :)

Latest posts

Back