Long drop brakes and their pivot optionss

Ajoten

Old School Hero
So if I had these...

would I feel any benefit "upgrading" to these

which seem to come under various brand names I'm not familiar with - Alhonga and Longus and probably others, and read somewhere that modern deep drop brakes might be a bit "flexy".

Andrew

Attachments

• 64137E43-7192-418C-A3A2-88933B4F034E.jpeg
    64137E43-7192-418C-A3A2-88933B4F034E.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 716
  • DSCN8280a.jpg
    DSCN8280a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 716
Re: Re:

Ajoten":1br68sw7 said:
So there's no particular benefit in this dual pivot malarkey?
Loads of benefit. Dual pivots have sooo much power and bite compared to single pivots.

If you have taken those weinmanns off your bike with the blocks positioned as in the photo, those alonghas prob won't fit, as they are really deep drop.

Weinmann 405's with 39-49 mm reach would be considered "short reach" you will need a short drop dual pivot to replace. What sort of bike have you got? BITD weinmann 500's with a minimum reach of 43 mm were ok for my time trial bikes.....

Shaun

Re:

These are my 405s, whose drop I have measured at c. 75mm

Attachments

• _20170608_212445.JPG
    _20170608_212445.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 681
Have a look at Tektro R559s. I use them on my Witcomb for a 27" to 700c conversion; very effective and much better than vintage ones.

Re:

Your measuring methodology is flawed. You need two horizontal lines- one through the centre of the pivot bolt, and another through the centres of the brake-block bolts. Measure the vertical distance between them.

I can guarantee you that the answer you get from doing that, on the bike in your picture, will not be '75mm'.

Re:

brake blocks also make a difference. Those Weinmann ones aren't half as good as something modern

And bear in mind, modern brakes have allen key bolt mounting. If your's hasn't, you will need to drill bigger holes in the fork crown and brake bridge

If you want to keep it all period, some weinmann centre pulls might be good. I have some on a winter hack and the stopping power is a good as DP's - but they don't have the modulation - they're all or nowt when it comes to stopping

Re: Re:

pigman":1f9ljmnr said:
brake blocks also make a difference. Those Weinmann ones aren't half as good as something modern

And bear in mind, modern brakes have allen key bolt mounting. If your's hasn't, you will need to drill bigger holes in the fork crown and brake bridge

If you want to keep it all period, some weinmann centre pulls might be good. I have some on a winter hack and the stopping power is a good as DP's - but they don't have the modulation - they're all or nowt when it comes to stopping

Many of the deeper drop ones (such as R559s) also come in a bolt-through mount so are drop-in compatible.

Back