Lightest, stiffest most rigid steel frame ever

Sorry, I agree, absolutely the forks! :oops:

Price is definitely no guide whether something is nice to ride, I cannot agree more. Some high-end bikes are absolutely brutal to ride (especially road). They may be quick over the terrain for a 1 hour blast, but for longer rides are just horrible.

You forgot to mention the forks...

Yes, given that they are open at one end, unlike a frame that is braced by virtue of it being made out of a sieries of triangles, I imagine the differences in the springiness/stiffness of rigid steel forks made of diffrent types and thicknesses of steel could be quite substantial. Do curved forks flex more than straight bladed? - No idea.

legrandefromage":1bf0agvd said:
Peugeot Teamline 2000 - Columbus Nivacrom. It was far too nice for a big lump like me to be riding round on. I almost wept when I rode it.

peugeot_teamline_2000_spinner_forks_998.jpg

columbus_gienius_980.jpg
Most pleasant! I'm now sporting a semi thanks to that pic.

Lets not forget the most absolute factor at play in any of these (pointless ;) ) meanderings is subjectivity

LGF has a thing for low volume, "pedigree" or boutique frames like Zinn and Roberts, "as well as wierd bikes from the 1980's, but lets not go there :LOL: ), while others have a panchant for Canadian built frames.... Raging Bulls similarly, has a fetish for SBikes

The point is, that there is a reason why we all choose the brands, styles, era's that we do, which, in the end, will ultimately define our choices and preferences.

Its true that if you put paniers on a race bike, its gonna break your back before the mid point of your tour, so there is consideration of use to be given, however our own subjectivity will ultimately overpower our decisions

So, like I say, its a pretty pointless argument, as there is no right or wrong.... (gimme a Stars & Bars Hot in 853, anyday tho :LOL: )

G

The OP asked which is the lightest/stiffest/most rigid-not the 'best' steel tubeset, or whether this combination makes for the best ride....

shogun700":2iens94x said:
The OP asked which is the lightest/stiffest/most rigid-not the 'best' steel tubeset, or whether this combination makes for the best ride....
Well from the op:-
yeti-man":2iens94x said:
So tell us about what you consider the best and lightest steel rig
Seems "best" was at least mentioned as some of the criteria...

When were were teenagers buying these bikes new 'best' was the ability to impress your mates or snap some young fillies knicker elastic with the sheer meatiness and non-Raleighness of your steed.

legrandefromage":25lhwuc2 said:
Peugeot Teamline 2000 - Columbus Nivacrom. It was far too nice for a big lump like me to be riding round on. I almost wept when I rode it.

peugeot_teamline_2000_spinner_forks_998.jpg

columbus_gienius_980.jpg

Stunning bike! How easy is it to get the grabs on one of these?

Back