Lets talk brakes..

As I've posted before I want to love disc brakes, but can't get a satisfactory enough experience out of them. The power is there for sure, but they are just too noisy for me (despite my own and my LBS best attempts).

Re:

Re the disc setup being heavier , only in and ideal world , in reality discs are lighter after about 5 mins riding in the mud , v's or canti's are just weight (mud collectors ), admit it not all advances in technology are bad .

greencat":w4ot22qg said:
As I've posted before I want to love disc brakes, but can't get a satisfactory enough experience out of them. The power is there for sure, but they are just too noisy for me (despite my own and my LBS best attempts).

What discs are you running? My are quiet; no honking, no squeaking just a slight grind when it's gloopy.

Re:

I run XTR m988 levers(trail version)with earlier M975 calipers with absolute zero issues.Im out 3 mornings of the week in all weathers and the brakes have been 100%.V brakes are alright but a good disc set up is in a different league in terms of consistent and reliable braking.Never had a problem with brake squeal either.

Re:

Some of the Shimano brakes are supplied with resin compound pads; which if you use them with some other rotors, squeal like mad sometimes.. Shimano make specific rotors, or you can just use 'normal' (sintered/organic) replacement pads.

Yes, disc brakes have been around a while.. they are nowadays exactly the same as they were then..there have been noooooo 'advances' in this ancient technology since then.

Osella":64otwhds said:
Yes, disc brakes have been around a while.. they are nowadays exactly the same as they were then..there have been noooooo 'advances' in this ancient technology since then.

Of course you are taking into account Hopes swop from Closed to Open systems ;)

greencat":64otwhds said:
Its simple really. A disc that goes between two plates with about a mil's clearance.

You spin the wheel- Does the rotor wobble ?
If so bend the rotor till true.

You know the rotor on its mount is straight and true

Pads. Do they retract as they do ?

What im getting at is if all the component parts are functioning as they should, then nothing should rub.
It is a fiddle but perseverance will get you there.

Im assuming youre referring to cable discs as opposed to hydraulic :? But either way, if the system is functioning correctly, there should be nothing making a noise :?
Cable being the problematic way of approaching this problem, though the solution they were looking for has more to do with cost and mass production, than stopping ability or ease of set up and use
It suggests that a system designed with one fixed pad, is really just a pointless exercise :?

The part about enjoying the ride discs or v's or cantis has to be the real point here. Admittedly i enjoy the muddy tracks on michellin runr 1.4 slicks. No brake helps there , in fact best leave well alone :LOL:

Glazed rotors cause squeaking :? as do contaminated pads. Both of which are easily sorted and the former id recommend folk do more often than not :?
Rotor best deglazed using some wet and dry sandpaper, and any residue can be burnt out the pads using a blowlamp, only just to burn off the solvent, i have watched people try to weld them to the bench :LOL: Just till the smoking stops then dress them on a flat surface with some wet&dry

Back