L'Eroica Britannia 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
glpinxit":lieoyn2w said:
Is there a nice hotel nearby? Better still if they will accommodate cycles securely. (Am optimistic for next year as Mrs GLP is showing signs of wanting to start riding seriously with me but will need somewhere "acceptable" to stay.)

Bakewell has hotels as it"s in the peak district touristy bit, most of the villages around have B&B places, as there is a lot of rambling /hiking that takes place. There is also Buxton, & Matlock/ Matlock Bath, both within easy driving distance having a good selection of hotels or B&B. I don"t know about the present but in the past a good number catered to bikies needs.

I'd recommend staying in site to get the full festival vibe ... Toilets and showers were a bit rough but that's all part of the experience.

Watched it last year and now have decided to enter 2015 event.

Where do you get hold of retro cycling clothing, apart from there, on the day?

Little Al":2m078kho said:
glpinxit":2m078kho said:
Is there a nice hotel nearby? Better still if they will accommodate cycles securely. (Am optimistic for next year as Mrs GLP is showing signs of wanting to start riding seriously with me but will need somewhere "acceptable" to stay.)

Bakewell has hotels as it"s in the peak district touristy bit, most of the villages around have B&B places, as there is a lot of rambling /hiking that takes place. There is also Buxton, & Matlock/ Matlock Bath, both within easy driving distance having a good selection of hotels or B&B. I don"t know about the present but in the past a good number catered to bikies needs.
Yeah, you shouldn't have much of a problem finding accommodation, especially if you're prepared to stop in one of the neighboring villages. Bakewell's lovely, but it's teeming with tourists at this time of year anyway.

Youlgrave and the surrounding villages are worth considering too, and only 5 odd miles away, but again at this time it's probably best to book in advance

Might be a bit out of the way and not a hotel, but this place just up the lane from me is certainly cyclist friendly - the owners are mountainbikers (and I believe their young lads are record breaking unicyclists!) Beautiful area.
http://www.daleendhouse.co.uk/Home.aspx

Montello":3qkq9flq said:
I'd recommend staying in site to get the full festival vibe ... Toilets and showers were a bit rough but that's all part of the experience.
That's the problem for me - the 'festival experience'. I don't want it. Even though I don't class myself as 'old', at my age I don't want to sleep badly in a tent, share rough showers and toilets, watch jugglers and other similar 'lifestyle' acts. I want to sleep in my own bed, use my own toilet, eat a civilised breakfast, drive to the event - and just RIDE it.

And not pay extra for the things I don't want. It's probably the main reason that I didn't enter this year.

Call me a 'Miserable Old Ned' if you want but I would gladly pay a sensible entry fee to be able to ride only on the day.

However, I suppose that I am 'lucky' enough to be able to get to Bakewell relatively easily for an early morning start.

Old Ned":2hecvx9i said:
Montello":2hecvx9i said:
That's the problem for me - the 'festival experience'. I don't want it. Even though I don't class myself as 'old', at my age I don't want to sleep badly in a tent, share rough showers and toilets, watch jugglers and other similar 'lifestyle' acts. I want to sleep in my own bed, use my own toilet, eat a civilised breakfast, drive to the event - and just RIDE it.

And not pay extra for the things I don't want. It's probably the main reason that I didn't enter this year.

Call me a 'Miserable Old Ned' if you want but I would gladly pay a sensible entry fee to be able to ride only on the day.

However, I suppose that I am 'lucky' enough to be able to get to Bakewell relatively easily for an early morning start.

I did the event this year.
I am not a big fan of camping so didn’t
I ate very little of the food that was included in the price (perhaps 2 buns)

So to conclude – I paid the set fee to ride 100 miles on public roads and bridleways that I could ride any day of the week for free – Yet I thought it was worth every penny.

andy---doe":2n0y5ih5 said:
Old Ned":2n0y5ih5 said:
Montello":2n0y5ih5 said:

I did the event this year.
I am not a big fan of camping so didn’t
I ate very little of the food that was included in the price (perhaps 2 buns)

So to conclude – I paid the set fee to ride 100 miles on public roads and bridleways that I could ride any day of the week for free – Yet I thought it was worth every penny.

Not completely true, you would not get access to ride through the grounds of Chatsworth house outside of the event.

Old Ned":2lgp1yoz said:
Montello":2lgp1yoz said:

You're a Miserable Old Ned!!!!

but I agree with you

Back