Kronos Springs Rock Shox 95-97 Judy XC SL (160lbs )

mishmash69

BoTM Winner
Hi there

I bought a set of judy xc's without elastomers and was wanting to put springs in instead of replacement elastomers.

Seen a few posts recommending these springs but can't find anywhere to buy them from

Has anyone got a link or even got any?

Thanks

I've been researching the same thing and was going to post up on this exact topic as it happens.

I've recently re-built a set of SL's. For the time being I've used some elastomers I had left over from my Judy DH re-build, but they're not in great shape.

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

I've been looking into Kronos springs.

However, there must be a more recent off the shelf' alternative surely?

Would springs from a RS Dart etc work as a suitable replacement?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Coi ... SwbiFZW2AW

Or would springs from another manufacturer work?

Does anyone have a set of springs they would be willing to take dimensions from to see if there are any alternatives out there?

Or, is the possibility the full internals from a currently available model be retro-fittable into the Judy chassis? Imagine that; having air sprung, high and low speed compression, lockout etc in a 90's fork. Thinking outside the box here.

Mind . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Blown :cool:

Think i'll have a chat with my contacts at SRAM.

cheers
Chris

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

You can fit 28mm Sid internals into a Judy fork I believe. I have had many Judy forks and the only kit I know if that converts them to air is an englund/ecko sport kit which is very rare and very expensive if you can find one at all.

You can get type 3 spring kits which are essentially a 2 stage spring that replace the elastomer stack, this were rock Shox retro fit kits.

I think I saw a thread on here where someone was going to make some spring kits.

Factory Jackson":hvsf4ldt said:
I've been researching the same thing and was going to post up on this exact topic as it happens.

I've recently re-built a set of SL's. For the time being I've used some elastomers I had left over from my Judy DH re-build, but they're not in great shape.

Does anyone have a set of springs they would be willing to take dimensions from to see if there are any alternatives out there?

Or, is the possibility the full internals from a currently available model be retro-fittable into the Judy chassis? Imagine that; having air sprung, high and low speed compression, lockout etc in a 90's fork. Thinking outside the box here.

cheers
Chris

Please keep me in the loop
Somehow, rockshox past me by back in the nineties so this is all new to me

Basically I've dropped a bollock and bought some judy xc's that were missing the elastomers... the forks themselves are in lovely shape so it will be worth it in the end but I just assumed it would be easy to get some replacements.

I am also looking into the possibility of making my own.

Have you seen this?

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-compone ... elastomers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Factory Jackson":1ftt9b2p said:

cheers
Chris

Out of interest, how long is your steerer? I have a pair the same with a 175mm steerer which is a bit too short. Maybe we could swap if you would need to cut down a longer one. Just a thought.

As you were.

I'm also after some springs for mine! :roll:

Mike

Springs seem a bit elusive but ......speaking to my mate, who works for an engineering company he thinks that new elastomers should be pretty simple to make
I don't have any at all but I think they are 6" long and 17mm wide - is this correct?

Not sure how big the hole is tho - but should be pretty easy to work it out

Mike Muz 67":1drcfl54 said:
Out of interest, how long is your steerer? I have a pair the same with a 175mm steerer which is a bit too short. Maybe we could swap if you would need to cut down a longer one. Just a thought.

As you were.

I'm also after some springs for mine! :roll:

Mike

Sorry buddy. My steerer is now 175mm too. I'd cut it down a couple of weeks ago. Could have done a swap :facepalm:

Though on the SL's is a whole unit; ie the crown is non removable from the stanchions (it doesn't have the 2 bolts either side of the crown holding the legs in place).

Was pointed in the direction of these replacement springs by someone on one of the retro fb pages
I bought them from JE James

Rockshox Spring/Spacer Kit Judy 04-06 XFIRM x1

They should arrive tomorrow

Re:

mishmash69":3l4lekxf said:
Was pointed in the direction of these replacement springs by someone on one of the retro fb pages
I bought them from JE James

Rockshox Spring/Spacer Kit Judy 04-06 XFIRM x1

They should arrive tomorrow

can you provide more details? i'm after a set or two myself. does he have any more and does he only hae extra firm?

Back