Kona SingleSpeed Frame, 20" Kilauea? Explosif? SOLD

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
NOW SOLD

Hi All
I bought this a coupla months ago- i wanted to build a drop bar MTB on a budget. I thought i could get away with the 20" frame but the reach has proved too long for the way i want to run it. Shame as its a great frame.

Its an early 90's Kona, my guess is 91. The serial number is buried under the lovely sparkly red powdercoat. It weights just over 4lb, the same as my Kilauea.

The frame has been converted to singlespeed (track style) dropouts, and the cable stops removed. A v brake stop has been added on the top tube.

27mm Seatpost for this one/ 1" 1/8 headset.

For reference i was running compact drops with a 60mm stem, seat tube height was fine but reach a little too much, and i'm 5ft 9in.

Looking for £130 posted to UK.

hq1BV8R.jpg

sMO6R2v.jpg

MhBNEok.jpg

So5QlJV.jpg

Ir1XoxK.jpg

Nt6JEDI.jpg

Re:

I would say it’s a 93.

Earlier frames had the rack mount bosses on the frame rather than in as they are here.

It’s a lovely frame nonetheless :D

Re: Kona SingleSpeed Frame, 20" Kilauea? Explosif?

Strange frame, not a Kilauea, they never came with the bolt seat clamp, and the years the Explosif did, they never came with the seat-stay rack mount bolts. The tubeset doesn't look like Prestige either.

Pretty sure the seatclamp has been added. I'm beginning to think its actually a cindercone...

yeah, could have been, especially if they had all the other work done.

Its the rack mount bolts that stand out the most, came on later frames but they all had shaped (bulged or flattened) seat tubes on the higher models, either Prestige or Kona's own tubing.

Re: Re:

FireMountain95":30kvp3ty said:
I love this frame and my size, but is there a (simplish) way to revive some form of gearing from the current mods, 1× or 3x ?

Its a prime candidate for a hub gear! Alfine 8 or 11? :D

Re: Re:

FireMountain95":3n5gaola said:
I love this frame and my size, but is there a (simplish) way to revive some form of gearing from the current mods, 1× or 3x ?
Hi, I had a dmr rhythm frame with sliding drop outs. It was designed to be run with or without gears. To add gears you simply need the chain tug to have a mech hanger on the drive side. Available from various places, I got mine direct from Dr to replace the set without it that csme with my frame.

Back