Kona Retro - Cool site with catalogue scans.

Yes, I think Stewart Pratt's site was where John originally sourced the Kona catalogues in the Retrobike archive. It's very good of Stewart to keep the site up, even though he has no time to maintain it any longer.

There was no 1989 catalogue as such, as far as I'm aware. The catalogue that is generally known as the 1990 catalogue (which doesn't actually say it's the 1990 catalogue, even though on later definitions it is) came out in 1989, but then that's the same as the 2010 catalogue coming out in 2009.

And then there's the catalogue that is generally known as the 1988 one. That came out in 1988 and covers the original Kona range of bikes that were sold in 1988 and 1989. So on later definitions that would be called the 1989 catalogue. But everybody calls it the 1988, and there's no point arguing.

I don't think there was anything else in between those two, but I have seen colour schemes from that time that weren't in either. I think they just had fun with the colour schemes from time to time.

Anyway, that '1988' one is shown below, all two pages of it. Note the careful wording about who designed the bikes. Was it the famous guy, or was it the other guys?

Attachments

• 1988 brochure outer pages.jpg
    1988 brochure outer pages.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 1988 brochure inner page.jpg
    1988 brochure inner page.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,336
De+La+Soul+Is+Dead+Front.jpg

great cd!

Back