Kona Misser replica 1997

Hi -- I have a rather beat-up Hope C2 picked up on spec a few years ago. It turns out to have a non-standard 42mm IS-style mount so I haven't been able to use it. In addition, the previous owner has filed the mounting down in an attempt to make it fit. Surprisingly, it still works fine. Even if it's not suitable, it should be a good source of parts. Yours for the cost of postage from Aus if you need it.

PA300001.jpg PA300003.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg

Hi -- I have a rather beat-up Hope C2 picked up on spec a few years ago. It turns out to have a non-standard 42mm IS-style mount so I haven't been able to use it. In addition, the previous owner has filed the mounting down in an attempt to make it fit. Surprisingly, it still works fine. Even if it's not suitable, it should be a good source of parts. Yours for the cost of postage from Aus if you need it.

View attachment 791754View attachment 791755
View attachment 791756

Cheers for this, really appreciate it. I'll pass for now if that's ok.

I promised some pictures of the original incarnations of the bike so here we go. As you can see, it didn't stay in one guise for long! That was the spirit back then, and whilst even these days folks swap out parts on new bikes, once they've set on their preferred build, it usually stays that way. Here, that wasn't the case. Things broke, new technology and shiny bits were coming to market thick and fast (some worked, some didn't). It's hard to get them in chronological order but here we go.

Dual clamp fork, black saddle phase. Check out the rear disc linkage:

KTlSDs.jpg

8sHfnA.jpg

Dual clamp red saddle phase, spotters badge for the Z1s, the same crusty ones that came on the frame when I purchased it:

7VwUji.jpg

So I'll guess this was a slightly earlier incarnation, Z1 phase. It's pre disc tab weld too:

BXB2QT.jpg

How about some action shots?

AhVvV3.jpg

VUzY4a.jpg

And my personal fav:

6uQKMm.jpg

It's here too...

8HJVPd.jpg

Great memories and personally, it's made me more confident to build it as I'd like, rather than go for a Misser tribute. For sure, I'm keeping it as era specific as possible and where I can, select parts Tomi would use or perhaps, might of like to have used, but I'm not going to be hung up as much as I was when I first started this.

Just to echo that sentiment and theme of building these, and any DH rig back in the day, here's a great side-shot of one that was shared yesterday on IG. It's not one of Tomi's and is a "production" model like mine. It's larger for one (too big for Tomi or Paul), and they didn't have a deal with Fox either.

wm3yFX.jpg

Great photos.
Seems to have experimented with different setups. The WB fork pics have a shorter stroke shock fitted along with the upgraded forks, then switched back to the long stroke shock for the racing pics. looks like he removed them and stuck the old Z1's and long stroke shock back on later, the version you have now.

Great photos.
Seems to have experimented with different setups. The WB fork pics have a shorter stroke shock fitted along with the upgraded forks, then switched back to the long stroke shock for the racing pics. looks like he removed them and stuck the old Z1's and long stroke shock back on later, the version you have now.

What's also clear is the patina came from it's life outside his ownership, when it was being used as a commuter bike around Lewisham 😢

What's also clear is the patina came from it's life outside his ownership, when it was being used as a commuter bike around Lewisham 😢

My Aunt used to live in Lewisham, rough around there :LOL:

My Aunt used to live in Lewisham, rough around there :LOL:

I used to cycle through it 5 days a week. Fun fact, it's the only place I've been given a ticket using a bike. Ironically it was the day after the riots when it was swarming with police who were no-where to be seen the evening before...

Back