Kona Misser replica 1997

Ok cool kids, I would really value your insight and knowledge regarding cranks, chainring and guard. Apologies in advance for the (old) newb dweeb questions, but I'm an XC dude at heart 🤣

What is the part name and spec for this 5-arm RaceFace crank? Whilst marked Turbine, it's clearly different to what I have used before (and have a spare set of gathering dust in the garage).

IMG_0051.JPG

5vnSgV.jpg

Also, how do the bolts and chain-ring work here? Is it as obvious and having everything bolted together or is there anything else going on?

IMG_0070.JPG

It is a Turbine, they just changed shape slightly over the years. I think they went to being manufactured in the far east in the late 90's and were suddenly OE spec everywhere rather than being just a high end aftermarket thing. There's still a Turbine crank now although it is very different to the early ones.
The MRP is just what you think. Extra long chainring bolts and spacers. There were different versions depending whether the bike had an elevated or normal chainstay. On the elevated one in the picture 2 bash guards were bolted to the crankset.
On the normal one the inside bashguard was attached to the boomerang and was split to clear the chainstay. 👍 😁

Looks lovely. Did you need to lengthen the C2 hoses at all? I need to on my Bigfoot build and haven't looked into how easy it is to get the larger (6mm?) hose and associated hardware.

As far as I'm aware Turbines were manufactured in Canada up to around the mid 2000's which is when they offered them with the Isis interface. The machining is slightly different at the end of the arms near the crank bolts on later ones. The DH variants didn't have the milled out bit on either edge of the crank arms or threads for a granny ring. I'm sure there are people more in the know than me about Turbines though.

It is a Turbine, they just changed shape slightly over the years. I think they went to being manufactured in the far east in the late 90's and were suddenly OE spec everywhere rather than being just a high end aftermarket thing. There's still a Turbine crank now although it is very different to the early ones.
The MRP is just what you think. Extra long chainring bolts and spacers. There were different versions depending whether the bike had an elevated or normal chainstay. On the elevated one in the picture 2 bash guards were bolted to the crankset.
On the normal one the inside bashguard was attached to the boomerang and was split to clear the chainstay. 👍 😁

Cheers, great summary. The chainguard I'm good for (I have options) I meant the bashguard so thanks for clarifying. The hunt continues!

Looks lovely. Did you need to lengthen the C2 hoses at all? I need to on my Bigfoot build and haven't looked into how easy it is to get the larger (6mm?) hose and associated hardware.

I don't thankfully, if anything they are a little too long but we'll make them work. I'm worried we won't be able to get them back together when they are serviced, but my pal Stuart reckons we can fashion the crimps/clips if we need to. He's also got a good line into Hope so I'm confident for now.

Alright, here's my next fairly loaded question for the headz.

We know the shock fitted is, let's just say, a touch on the long-travel side. Whilst it looks absolutely bad-ass and works super-well thanks to a refurb by Silverfish, there's no getting around it, the geometry looks wack.

IF I were to seek something more suitable, what was the "correct" amount of travel the frames were designed around? Options are open to Rock Shox Deluxe, and Fox Vanilla's by what I can tell and identify. I defo want coil over oil, not air.

Your intel and advice, as ever, is appreciated!

Latest posts

Back