Kona Kula mystery - Kona experts stand up!

saladodger

Retro Guru
I am looking for a Kona frame and nearly wet myself when an alleged Kula appeared on eBay about 1 hour ago. Then a couple of things got me wondering.....firstly I know there is a 'Deluxe' model but this one says 'Dee-Lux" as per Kona's full sussers with extra spec. Secondly the rear drop-outs look different, with holes through the frame, to any model I can remember.

Anybody any clues if this is a legit Kona, or do you know what frame it is? Up for £50 + £12 P&P.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1200390270

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I'm not so sure now. The dropouts are similar to this 2001,

images

But not quite the same.

and the tubes look a bit slimmer.

imgres

However..... The drop-outs DO look very similar to a recent Kula frame!! But why would you re-paint and re-decal making frame look much older than it is??? Seller has put a "easton" sticker on it but not sure about this?? Should the tubing not be kona Scandium??

The seat clamp may be on wrong, but it appears as though the seat tube slot is at the back, which would go against it being a Kona. Puzzling.

I think it's a 2007 Kula frame. that's the only year I can think that has those dropouts, that head tube and those joins from top and down tubes into the head tube. Here's a link to the catalog Delux: http://www.klassickona.com/oldgold/2k7/ ... index.html

The respray is awful but there appear to be two red chips peeping through which would be commensurate with a 2007 Delux frame.

If it's a 2007 then £50 is a crazy bargain!.

Re:

well - I'll take some better pictures including serial number when the frame arrives. :)

I got it for £40 + postage in the end so worth the gamble if it is a Kula....

Re:

Well, it arrived and was collected this morning from the nice people at the Parcelforce depot.

It's a bit on the grubby side and very much a diy paint job with an awful finish. There are many points where the paint is flaking off revealing what I assume is the original colour.

I've taken a few pics of the serial number, weight of frame (how much of that is new paint?!), as well as the general condition and "original" paint areas.

As you can see, there appears to be a lot of Red underneath the new blue, covering the head tube, top tube and down tube. Then, when you get to the rear drop outs, there is Blue underneath. Similar paint scheme to the 2003 Kula Deluxe:

However, the frame I have have no rear brakes bosses and the rear drop outs match more closely to the 2007+ Kona Kula range. Oh and the seat tube slot is at the front.

How odd....

Anyone good at deciphering Kona serial numbers or know where I can go to find out? I'm also aware that it could be a completely different frame manufacturer too.

Plan is to get it stripped and powder coated, but not sure if it is worth it if the frame is junk...

Do you know what weight a kula is? 1.5kg isn't shabby. If its Kula weight its probably a decent enough frame regardless if its a kula or not. Welds arent to bad and the drop outs are nice.

Back