Kona Kula/Kilauea 2009/10 18"

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
One of the nicest bikes Kona has ever produced. You might be familiar with Pip's production Kilauea version. I wrote about it for Kona (sadly the article is deleted) and in that I said the Kilauea production frame was born from the season before, from a small batch made for the Torq racing team.

Well, here's 1 or those 10 or so, currently for sale (orange decals, Kula named, and actually made by a 3rd party who's name escapes me):

If this were my size I'd be thinking about what to let go in the stable to make room for it. It was, along with the stars and bars King Kahuna, the most bad-ass, amazing Kona Pip had in his collection. Absolutely featherweight, a total XC weapon. If you can afford it, don't mind the lacquer peel and are after the best 26" XC riding experience, don't hesitate.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Apparently the "10" refers to ten extra frames that Torq ordered and gave away for promotions, rather than the bikes the team would have ridden. You can read about it here. It looks like the team were originally riding the carbon Kilauea's before moving onto the Kula's. I have also seen a King Kahuna in Torq livery, I wonder if that was for team riders wanting an early 29'er.

Still a very cool bike.

@al-onestare , if you were interested I actually have a NOS 2011 Kula Watt frame in 19 inch, never had headset, BB or wheels in it. It is practically perfect. I'm downsizing at the moment and I don't think I will get round to building it up any time soon, so I would probably let it go. Let me know if you are interested.

Back