Kona Hot Serial Number List - update 21/10/24

and like mine (1522) this one also doesn't appear to have a ribbed down tube.
So similar to the Explosifs in ‘94 in that some had the fluted/ribbed down tube (as per the ‘93s) and some did not. Going to be getting mine (fluted ‘94 Explosif) resprayed so will try and see if there evidence of other colours under the ‘94 green.

Do we need to add Fluted/ribbed to the list on page 1 for the 94s as another differentiator?

So similar to the Explosifs in ‘94 in that some had the fluted/ribbed down tube (as per the ‘93s) and some did not. Going to be getting mine (fluted ‘94 Explosif) resprayed so will try and see if there evidence of other colours under the ‘94 green.

Do we need to add Fluted/ribbed to the list on page 1 for the 94s as another differentiator?

Good shout, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was an option, or something that just "naturally" transitioned mid-year.

What do we collectively think? This is the time where we really miss Pip and his mega-knowledge 🙏

Good shout, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was an option, or something that just "naturally" transitioned mid-year.
I suspect “naturally”, or nothing more than “using up last years tubesets”. I doubt that fluted vs not fluted made any meaningful difference in the ride, though obviously fluted is way more coolerer. 😎
What do we collectively think? This is the time where we really miss Pip and his mega-knowledge 🙏
Agreed. Think we should add the info where we have it, it’s an easy to spot thing even if the frame has lost its badging/decals.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen later S/N with the flutter/ribbed down tube. It is much cooler- I wish mine had it :(.

Couple of updates:

The earliest known production Altitude Hot to date, no actual picture of the SN as yet, but it's reported as HT0101. Resprayed around 1998 with period correct decals and currently for sale.

1729512525866.png

HT0101 - 19" 1996 Metallic Turquoise, Goathead Dropouts, Rear Brake Stop. Resprayed around 1998 with period correct decals. No picture of SN.

@mechagouki kindly shared a new picture of #1301 which nicely shows the ribbed downtube. I've added that to the text, and the master spreadsheet as a new column.

IMG_5143.jpeg

TET 1301 - 19" 1994 Cherry Red - No triangle cut-out Dropout. Tange Ultrastrong Ribbed Downtube.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I suspect “naturally”, or nothing more than “using up last years tubesets”. I doubt that fluted vs not fluted made any meaningful difference in the ride, though obviously fluted is way more coolerer. 😎

Agreed. Think we should add the info where we have it, it’s an easy to spot thing even if the frame has lost its badging/decals.

New column added to the master spreadsheet and from the notes I have, defo 3 Ultrastongs (ribbed) and 2 others that had the decal but no notes if the downtube was ribbed. They span 3 production years:

3 confirmed:

2 unconfirmed:

Whilst it probably has no relation to Hots, until recently I had a 94 Explosif without the ribbed downtube. The frame was identical (same tube profiles, weight within 4g) to a 94 Kilauea that I also own. Is it possible that Tange discontinued the tubeset mid year and still having orders to fill they did the next best thing and painted up Kilauea frames in Explosif colours?

Whilst it probably has no relation to Hots, until recently I had a 94 Explosif without the ribbed downtube. The frame was identical (same tube profiles, weight within 4g) to a 94 Kilauea that I also own. Is it possible that Tange discontinued the tubeset mid year and still having orders to fill they did the next best thing and painted up Kilauea frames in Explosif colours?
It wouldn't be unheard of. The best known incidence of "badge engineering" (to borrow an automotive term) is the '92 Explosif Pro, which I've been told was actually left over '91 Explosif frames - hence different geometry and brazed on seat binder compared to regular '92 Explosif.

A great, similar recurring question that diving into this site's history, reveals that some did and some didn't, spanning Hots and Explosifs 🤣

But did they use the same tubing on Kilaeuas? As default no, but they did.

Back