Kona Hei Hei project

santoscdn

Dirt Disciple
After getting decals for the 1995 Hei Hei frame and after giving it a lot of thought, I finally decided to start a new project. The frame looks so incredible that is hard to part ways with it.

I wanted to build a rigid bike. Luckily, I found a 1994 Fire Mountain in really good shape (and very cheap) with the following components that I will mount on the Hei Hei:
- Kona Project Two TB fork.
- Velocity stem.
- Ritchey Logic cantilever brakes.
- Zoom 170 handlebar.
- Mavic X222 rims.
- Shimano STX RC hubs (these will be eventually replaced but for now I am going to keep them).
- IRC Piranha pro rear tire.
- WTB Velociraptor front tire.

For the rest of the project I am thinking:
- XTR M900 components (front and rear derailleur, chainset, cassette, brake levers/shifters, headset).
- Flite titanium saddle.
- ODI Attack grips.

I am yet undecided about the seatpost and pedals. Thinking about something in black, but not sure what exactly. Any ideas?

See pics below on the project so far.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 984
Re: Re:

More threads to it. That is the next step after I received the XTR headset that I have purchased

Joe_Rides":2ez2xwzl said:
Nice.

What will you do about that steerer length? Spacers? or add more threads to it?

Re:

You have a lovely example of a 1995 Hei Hei there.

Would you be willing to show or tell us the serial number? I have been compiling a list of the more rare Handmade In U.S.A. Kona frames.

Edit: I am sorry to post the question above, but I now see that you have already revealed the serial number in a previous thread.

Pip.

Re:

Here's an update to my project.

Decided to go with black stem and fork (got these recently from a Kona Explosif that I found on local ads). I love the contrast of the frame with black parts.

Still waiting for numerous parts to arrive (XTR M900, Panaracer Smoke and Dart, Odi Attack grips...), but so far:
- Frame: 1995 Kona Hei Hei 19"
- Fork: Kona Project 2 TB.
- Stem: Kona Velocity.
- Bar: Zoom 170.
- Seatpost: Dean aluminum.
- Saddle: Flite ti.
- Front mech: XTR M900.
- Rear mech: XTR M910.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 706
fattiman":3bdg1x4e said:
Decals wrong colour and applied incorrectly

'KONA' decal may look a little low once the cranks are on but I think the colour is fine - how can it be 'wrong' when it's not a stock build...?

Attachments

• hei hei.jpg
    hei hei.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 682
dongward":2m9h2flm said:
fattiman":2m9h2flm said:
Decals wrong colour and applied incorrectly

'KONA' decal may look a little low once the cranks are on but I think the colour is fine - how can it be 'wrong' when it's not a stock build...?

Wrong placement of the top tube decal and down tube. Regarding the colour, I presume that the owner didnt go for the silver 94 decals as he wanted it to look like a 95 model. If this is the case, as I suspect it is, then the decals mounted are the wrong colour for the 95 model year!

Latest posts

Back