Kona Explosif 1993

Muddy paw":lxweiidi said:
The Kona looks amazing mate and well worth waiting for but what i'm curious to know is how much feel translates through the bars compared to steel and are the fibrax blocks as good as i hope they are as they were my prefered choice bitd with the only downside being that they use to wear out pretty quick compared to the XT's ..

Thanks! The brakes are a bit hit and miss at the moment. The rear is superb in terms of power but feels spongy, the front has a more positive feel but lacks power. Some adjustment needed I think. The front end feels pretty good, the bars are wide and carbon so take out a fair bit of buzz. Admittedly it is pretty soggy here so probably not a fair test as of yet.

One thing that strikes me about the Explosif, is how very very front light it is compared to any other Kona I've ridden. I've had loads over the years, including a 1993 Kilauea in the same frame size and it feels different. I'm looking forward to the weather improving and giving it some stick!

Splatter Paint":2j48daop said:
Thanks! The brakes are a bit hit and miss at the moment. The rear is superb in terms of power but feels spongy, the front has a more positive feel but lacks power. Some adjustment needed I think. The front end feels pretty good, the bars are wide and carbon so take out a fair bit of buzz. Admittedly it is pretty soggy here so probably not a fair test as of yet.

One thing that strikes me about the Explosif, is how very very front light it is compared to any other Kona I've ridden. I've had loads over the years, including a 1993 Kilauea in the same frame size and it feels different. I'm looking forward to the weather improving and giving it some stick!

I'd forgotten what a pain those brakes were to set up but should be okay with a slight toe in if i remember correctly and yes your not going to get the true feeling through the bars until we get some decent weather to dry every where up but so far your choice of bars is looking positive ;) ...

Well i don't know if these bars are a lot wider than your use to but if they are then that would make perfect sense you finding the steering very light as the wider the bars the greater the leverage when steering ..

Re:

So I bought a whole XTR equipped bike on eBay for £31! The frame is damaged so I've karma'd it, the rest is my XTR haul....

There was a cassette - XT I think, but I'm going for a modern HG41 instead. Rims are Araya RM-17 concave jobs - weird.

Attachments

• XTR_GB.jpg
    XTR_GB.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 727
  • XTR_Groupset.jpg
    XTR_Groupset.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 727
Re:

A few detail shots - not too shabby. The rear mech was extra (thanks M-Power) as it had been wrecked on the donor bike. I've fitted an SRP break-away bolt as the donor shows, one good whack will destroy the mech and damage the frame too. Cranks are 170mm I'd like 175mm ideally - swaps?

Next job - take it all apart again! :facepalm: It hasn't been ridden for more than 20 minutes....

SP

Attachments

• Front_hub.jpg
    Front_hub.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 721
  • XTR_Chainrings.jpg
    XTR_Chainrings.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 721
  • XTR_BB.jpg
    XTR_BB.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 721
  • Rear mech.JPG
    Rear mech.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 721
You jammy devil getting that bargain off ebay and concave rims were found on quite a few bikes back in the mid 80s and weren't to bad at all on road bikes but as for off road use i have no idea ..

Re:

Detail shots

Attachments

• XTR_rear.jpg
    XTR_rear.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 604
  • XTR_front.jpg
    XTR_front.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 603
  • XTR_bars.jpg
    XTR_bars.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 603