Kona Cinder Cone

We need pics!!!

I have to say, I'm glad I kept the bike I bought at 16. Even though it's not my 'main' bike anymore, I feel totally at home on it. It's worth more to me as a loaner/backup bike, to use on the trainer, and just for sentimentality than the $400 I could get for it.

adampaul76":23ymqg0i said:
I can see how addictive this could be! so many questions though! how compatible are the more modern drive trains? from memory my cinder cone has a 52 tooth big chain ring, I have noticed that they are now a lot smaller! :? would the V type brakes (which were just coming into fashion when I left the scene!) fit the frame? etc.

No need to get modern bits for it because all the old stuff in superb nick comes up on this site. Just keep an eye on the for sale and ebay watch section. If you're desperate then post in the wanted adds. I've only been on here a short while but am amazed at the amount of virtually new old kit that members have.

adampaul76":1vy9j6x9 said:
I can see how addictive this could be! so many questions though! how compatible are the more modern drive trains? from memory my cinder cone has a 52 tooth big chain ring, I have noticed that they are now a lot smaller! :? would the V type brakes (which were just coming into fashion when I left the scene!) fit the frame? etc.
I doubt if it's a 52, more likely a 46 or 48 standard drive, Sugino Fuse XD 24-36-46 was standard. You just missed out on the beginning of compact drive (22-32-42), but there's nothing wrong with standard drive, just depends on how steep your hills are around there. But if you used to race it, I expect you hardly notice hills anyway.

Yes, you could fit V-brakes and levers if you wanted to, although you'd need to convert the rear cable guide to act as a stop. Not a big problem.

Everybody on here would obviously advise you to keep it and use it. Unless you're really desperate to clear some space, the amount it would raise on eBay really wouldn't be enough to compensate for losing a tangible part of your youth that you can still use as and when you feel like it.

The fact is that it's a good bike. Modern bikes obviously have capabilities that a 93 bike doesn't have, in terms of riding stuff that requires long-travel suspension, but for the kind of purposes you used to put it to, double-butted steel frames haven't been improved upon. As a former racer, I expect you'd have quite a bit of fun outpacing kids half your age on brand new bikes.

As I originally bought just the frameset, most of the parts were taken from previous bikes with the intention of changing them at later dates. The crankset and rings were from a previous bike (dawes Edge if I remember correctly) and I think that had a sachs group set which I later added a 52 tooth to (not many hills in Lincolnshire, even when racing!)

Back