Kona Cinder Cone - first ride and some thoughts

Mike_S

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Finally, got everything dialed in on my little '95 Cinder Cone project and took it on a real ride.

Hits - Climbs like hell, accelerates nicely as well, and looks cool :)
Misses - In 1995 I was 34 years old. So the long stem and stretched out ride position worked great. At 51, I may have to opt for a shorter stem and bars with a bit of a rise in them. My back hurts :cry:

Now I have to find another project bike...

Specs, more pics here:
http://myretromtb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ ... e-and.html

Attachments

• kona conder cone - 1.jpg
    kona conder cone - 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 645
  • kona conder cone - 2.jpg
    kona conder cone - 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 645
Nice bikes - looks like a '92 to me :?

DSCN2084.jpg

:p

Mr Panda":3dgwlznv said:
Nice bikes - looks like a '92 to me :?
It's actually a 1993 frame, in the US-market colour scheme. Different frame shape to the 1992, and just for a specific feature note the rack eyes at the top of the seatstays. It has a 1994 fork though, which is longer than the 93 P2s that the frame was designed for, so it could do with a shorter stem to liven up the handling a bit.

Thanks for the info on the fork

When I originally bought the bike I had the shop install a RockShox RM-20 and this is the rigid fork they gave me. Then I built an American ELF, and gave this to my dad who hung it in his garage and probably rode it three times. I "stole" it back and I have it again. Wonder how the shop ended up giving me a '94 fork? Interesting...

Appreciate all of the info.

I have a fully original '95 cinder cone in the stable too....mine was given to me 2 years ago by a kit freak neighbour, who wouldn't possibly be seen on anything other than carbon and wanted the shed space back....it cost me a bottle of wine and even that was voluntary!....it rides great, the frame is minimal, light and 'whippy', and punches well above its place in the pecking order.....I haven't had reach issues but I am short and fat!..... :D :roll: ...

Then I built an American ELF, and gave this to my dad who hung it in his garage and probably rode it three times.

kv.gif

Damn, ive always wanted one of those American ELF's, they are som much better on the trail than the ones made in the Far East, and the welding is neater too :LOL:

G

Back