Koga Miyata Ridge Runner (1986)

Great project! Miyatas are nice, and this is the best era, will follow progress.

(Just that the bottom bracket shell is probably 73mm or something really unusual? As usually 70mm would be ITA threaded with bigger diameter of the cups.)

A bit of progress, mainly in the cleaning department. A combination of GT85, old toothbrush, cloths, cotton buds and a cheap handheld steam cleaner (from Aldi – also good for defrosting the freezer) got all the parts reasonably clean.

Hi mate, I'm always on the lookout for labour-saving / performance-enhancing cleaning hacks. Do you mind me asking what exactly you use the steam cleaner for, and how? Bike rather than freezer. Cheers.

Great project! Miyatas are nice, and this is the best era, will follow progress.

(Just that the bottom bracket shell is probably 73mm or something really unusual? As usually 70mm would be ITA threaded with bigger diameter of the cups.)

Thank you.

Re the BB, I thought this too. I measured and then measured again with my digital vernier caliper and it was still 70mm. But with standard size cup threads. I've not heard of this before. I've ordered a BB axle for 70mm spacing so we'll see what that does. The one I had was for 68mm and went in by about 2mm too far for the lock ring to hold on to it. I will report back!

Hi mate, I'm always on the lookout for labour-saving / performance-enhancing cleaning hacks. Do you mind me asking what exactly you use the steam cleaner for, and how? Bike rather than freezer. Cheers.

I use it for blasting into crevices and hard to reach bits in derailleurs, brakes etc. The heat and pressure seems to do a good job of loosening up baked on grease etc, so a bit of GT85 and a blast of steam and the gunk comes off more easily than with solvent alone. (But I really do recommend it for freezer defrosting as well. That's the kind of life I lead :cool:.)

Aldi's one looks out of stock but you can get basically the same on Amazon. https://www.aldi.co.uk/handheld-steam-cleaner/p/717725565260600

I use it for blasting into crevices and hard to reach bits in derailleurs, brakes etc. The heat and pressure seems to do a good job of loosening up baked on grease etc, so a bit of GT85 and a blast of steam and the gunk comes off more easily than with solvent alone. (But I really do recommend it for freezer defrosting as well. That's the kind of life I lead :cool:.)

Aldi's one looks out of stock but you can get basically the same on Amazon. https://www.aldi.co.uk/handheld-steam-cleaner/p/717725565260600
Lovely. Might consider getting the wife one for Xmas for the freezer, then I can borrow it for the bikes.

Back