Kick stands on mtb's

If you've got some superexotic lightweight steel frame, I bet you could ruin it by overtightening a kickstand.
I would have one, but only on a real heavyweight touring bike.
Incidentally, if you just leave your bike in town without locking up, chances are you will get your bike nicked. Most bikes are stolen by opportunists.

chris667":16tnjp0a said:
If you've got some superexotic lightweight steel frame, I bet you could ruin it by overtightening a kickstand.
I would have one, but only on a real heavyweight touring bike.
Incidentally, if you just leave your bike in town without locking up, chances are you will get your bike nicked. Most bikes are stolen by opportunists.

I know, that's why I have locking skewers, tamperproof torx bolts on everything that once used allen cap screws and am on the look out for a 'Seat Keeper' by Innovations, either that or get one made up by one of the yacht riggers here. In town, the usual, a hefty lock against something immoveable, at least I know my wheels are safe and the collected retro components.

The cycle stand is alloy, about 300grams in total, that is complete with the steel clamping plate and M10 steel bolt. The spring in it is a bit weak, I stay with this idea, and I will insert something stronger in there or devise a clip for the stand to engage in for movement across varied terrain, oh, and treat it to the same stuff as my frame, a coating of silicon so shit don't stick.

I never followed everyone elses's trail, always did my own thing, that is why I get Saracen bikes instead of the popular others.

a loose zip tie around the chainstay to hook the end of the arm will do if you dont mind having a loose zip tie on your stay

put a dab of loctite on the bolt too unless its a nyloc , they have a habit of coming loose

Deffo not , :shock:

Down Plymouth way ,you dont lean it against something.......you lock it to it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Definately, I grew up in Liverpool, and this place is small potatoes to that place where the premise is nic it first then think what to do with it, so I am a tadge paranoid about opportunist thieves. Mind, in Oxford, they can't get something off, they jump up and down on your wheels and kick in anything they can't get off, their idea, if they can't have it, you are not having it in a serviceable condition.

I am particular where I lock the thing up too, somewhere nice and public, preferably in sight of a cctv camera, which isn't hard. But then my mtb is my recreation and my transport to college, so it spends a lot of time negotiating the speed humps and potholed roads.

Stand

A bike stand on a mountain bike? . Not for me thankyou,last time I used one was on a Raleigh chopper

In Germany, kick stands are very common on expensive bikes.

And they're COMPULSORY on Kleins.
FACT.

The Kleins all hibernate during the winter, as their slicks don't work in snow.
But once spring arrives they'll be everywhere...

Fully blinged-out with kickstands; slicks; bells; racks; child-seats... :D

Back