KHS Montana team - 1994

Re:

Almost there..... Just brake cables, grips and bottle cage to go.

I've built it single speed because I'm planning to use this through the winter. The stuff I tend to ride is muddy and not forgiving on mechs etc. I may also change the tyres for something more mud capable but I'll decide that later.

Re:

Cabled it up, but it's still not ready to rock unfortunately. The brakes need more work to get totally right. They're just not returning as well as they should.

I'm going to do a full strip down of the brakes again and make sure I haven't left some crap on the pivots, then fine tune the cable routing to minimise pressure on the noodles that may be causing some slight snagging. Ballache but when they're set up right the Paul motolite brakes work lovely in my experience.

Some pics...

Re:

I wasn't happy with the brakes - so stripped them completely, cleaned, polished the sleeves then re-fitted everything. One of the steel pivot sleeve thingys was slightly tight on both front and rear - the cause of the brakes not returning right.
Pre cleaning:

I've also swapped which side the cable is on both front and back brakes, so I could get the cables working smoother.

The cables are now routed a lot smoother. It's removed some sideways pressure on the noodles that was also snagging things up a bit. The brakes feel really sweet now :mrgreen:

Changed the seat around - as I'd fitted it to the post backwards :facepalm:

I ran it up and down the road, and have found the chain slips a bit. I'll take a link out sometime in the next couple of days - then Wednesday I should get a first ride as I'm off work :D

Re:

Cheers mate. I'm pleased with how it's come out.

Just weighed it. 22.2lbs all up including bottle cage
Not bad considering some of the bits are pretty heavy eg the stem, cheap un55 bb, steel Tange headset etc.

Incidentally - the tange 'passage' headset was the only one I could find with a super short stack height. The steerer on the F7 fork is really too short but it just about works by using this headset. Worth remembering if anyone finds themselves with a steerer that is otherwise too short to use :)

Re:

Chain length adjusted this morning, then I took it for a first ride today. It performed flawlessly. No chain slip, no creaks, everything was rock solid. It steers fast - just like I like. It wants to go fast.

Didn't stop to get any pics during my ride - so here is a shot before I headed home.

Oh - and I found the right fork ;) :mrgreen:

Back