Just about to be Tango'd..... Orange P7 single speed!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Day off. Arrival of a few bits. What can possibly go wrong....??

:facepalm:

Attachments

• Tango 002.JPG
    Tango 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Tango 003.JPG
    Tango 003.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,633
Re:

OK, so going quite well despite having various neighbours and a landlady intrigued by the sound of a hairdryer in the car port, and time wasted having long conversations about home made headset presses....

BUT have 'lightly' waxoyled him (hence the hairdryer), removed some of the annoying decals (saved but as you know, I may not keep him forever and they can go back on :facepalm: ), test fitted a BB to check threads before the waxoyl went in, and now am at this stage....

Love the tyres, hate the fact the yellow clashes (we won't even mention the mauve and yellow Mavic rim decals.....), bars and stem definitely not staying (Kona stem is for something...else....) and obviously that steerer needs some drastic cutting down, but 1) not confident on cutting a carbon steerer, and 2) better not overdo it as this frame has an extremely short head tube, next frame might not... (again working on the theory I have a reputation for not keeping things for long)

This afternoon's job, polish up that paint work, it has the most amazing sparkle hidden within it's depths....then make a decision on chainset, which will probably involve selling all the ones I have, none of which are suitable, and buying a Middleburn, or possibly an old LX M563, as the colours would suit and I have a 94BCD ring ready for them.....

Attachments

• Tango II 004.JPG
    Tango II 004.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Tango II 003.JPG
    Tango II 003.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Tango II 002.JPG
    Tango II 002.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,588
Re: Just about to be Tango'd.....

Talk me through the waxoyl? Bought some spray but not got around to it yet. How much to use and ensure coverage etc?

Nice colour by the way.

Re:

God don't ask me, I just make it up as I go along!! :LOL: :LOL:

In preference, you need a really hot sunny Summer's day, and then you can just keep turning the frame while the waxoyl is nice and thin, and it will run out of the tubes. Today I didn't over do it, reckoning on going back to it and doing it properly on such a day as described above...

Generally I get as much as I can down every tube, not just the seat tube, using the air holes at the end of the seat stays/chain stays too. You can also get a good dose into the top tube/down tube from both ends, ie, from seat tube end, and head tube end. Turn slowly until it runs out....

Actually, when I say wayoyl, I mean Dinitrol/Supertrol which is what I use, I think it's thinner...??

For obvious reasons, don't do indoors in front of the fire unless you are single or have a VERY understanding other half. I am the former but don't have a fire.... :roll:

Re: Just about to be Tango'd.....

Thanks for that. Got standard waxoyl here. A warm shed and a hairdryer then. Was thinking about making an applicator out of a piece of mains earth wire insulator with end bungled up and holes in sides near end, maybe 2 ft long. Put in full length then withdraw while spraying?

Re:

That would be brilliant! Terribly over engineered and probably unnecessary, but brilliant none the less!! Have to say, unless you are convinced the frame will be yours for ever and ever and there's a chance it could rot inside out, the sun/hair dryer method and turning the frame to coat everything inside is probably sufficient.... ;)

I've just come in while I try and decide what I'm doing. So far today this bike has been 7 speed, 8 speed, and now having discovered an exceptionally lightweight close ratio road block, it's going to be 9 speed.... :facepalm:

Feel the need to start selling some more bits to fund all this....

Re:

As it ended up by the end of play, weight as is, just under 18lbs....if my calculations are correct!! :LOL:

Attachments

• Tango the third 002.JPG
    Tango the third 002.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Tango the third 001.JPG
    Tango the third 001.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,544
Re:

Waxoyl. Blimey I thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute!

Best thing to do is pop the can in warm water to thin the waxoyl. You have to keep renewing the water so it is warm enough. (hot as you can bear your hand in). If you are using a compressor and free flowing waxoyl you can lightly thin with white spirit.

And if you think doing the inside of a bike frame is wearing try doing the chassis of a Land Rover 110 with the black version of it. NOT NICE!! And I need to do it soon (every other year job). I am water repellant for about a week afterwards.

Anyway, that looks good Kaz.

Back