Judy SLs spring kit - easy job?

The instructions that came with my 'Wings' kits recommend coating everything in thick grease on assembly - I have some waterproof marine bearing grease, top stuff... :cool:

Rio":37hlkzl0 said:
if the damper of a judy is broken, are they hard to come by?

What about the damper is broken? If it's just the oil that's leaked out that can be fixed.

Just serviced my '96 Judy DH forks this weekend which included replacing the oil in both the rebound and compression damper cartridges.

There was a thread about re-filling cartridge on here some time ago.

jonboy":15wcbw9d said:
Rio":15wcbw9d said:
if the damper of a judy is broken, are they hard to come by?

What about the damper is broken? If it's just the oil that's leaked out that can be fixed.

Just serviced my '96 Judy DH forks this weekend which included replacing the oil in both the rebound and compression damper cartridges.

There was a thread about re-filling cartridge on here some time ago.

I don't have a broken damper, was just wondering. I might go and search a Judy and fit some springs in it for my next project, so that's why I was interted. But good to know it's an easy fix if the oil has leaked out, cause I heard that's the think that happens to those dampers if they do fail. Thanks!

I have a Risse Gem damper in my SLs, it's a beautiful little piece of engineering and you can still buy them!

75mmGEM.jpeg

Website here:http://risseracing.com/store/produc...d=106&osCsid=02f7f6a6c45338b922b9a63be67f13c4

I've also got the Risse cartridge, bought a few months back direct from them. As above, fantastic bit of kit.

Along with the kronos springs which are currently available on ebay in medium and firm weights.

Transformed my Judy XC :)

coomber":4xwueuih said:
Super, thanks so much for all the advice.

Have bought the forks so will report back how I get on!

Did mine myself, took 10 mins to strip down a few mins to clean then just put it all back together with a bit of grease job done! If I can do it I am sure you can :LOL:

Minty Sauce":1i7lrf31 said:
coomber":1i7lrf31 said:
Super, thanks so much for all the advice.

Have bought the forks so will report back how I get on!

Did mine myself, took 10 mins to strip down a few mins to clean then just put it all back together with a bit of grease job done! If I can do it I am sure you can :LOL:

Had a look last night, but already confused. What were your springs? WEre they just one large long spring in each?

Yes, mine were Kronos ones I bought from the states (got them from eBay). The hardest job on mine was getting all the old elastomers out, just leave the bush in the bottom. Then just grease up your new springs wind the top cap adjuster all the way out pop it on top of your spring then put it in.

Will brave again at the weekend when I have more time to concentrate, hard after work with a hyperactive 11 month old wanting to pick everything up!

Stay tuned :LOL:

Back