Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project *Finished*

Re:

Thanks mate :) - I have PM'd jonsmith (no reply yet) and I think I've seen the ones in Germany on eBay - think they're around £80 a set.
I may settle for something else due to their high price.

Today I have been mostly.......

....removing decals

......and cleaning the welds.

There was also a bit of chain suck which I've mostly sanded out. Just going to need a lotta rubbing then its onto the rebuild :)

Re: Re:

therealjaxon":1ektzmph said:
Anyone help out with identifying/supplying a headset?

I was set to buy an XT one but turned out to be the wrong size - can't find another so looking at alternatives, trouble is all the GT specs say 'Tioga headset' which doesn't help much.

Stumpjumper1990 suggested this one, thoughts?

http://www.mtb-kult.de/ritchey-logic-st ... z-neu.html

those Richey Logic ones are also on chain reaction for 11 quid http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritc ... 9df2354287

also, it could quite possibly be the Tioga Avenger headset that the GT archives are referring to. there are two original ones here, plus an XT headset and a few others: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-8-Inch-Th ... 4ad1e60ef8

Sean

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Wow, thats f***ed up - still making threaded steerers :eek: and cheap too, plus they still look like the originals - perhaps the way to go?

Btw, I've looked at that guys stuff a few times before - seems all very used and quite high prices.....hope he's not a member on here :oops:

Re:

therealjaxon":2gj05zhg said:
Btw, I've looked at that guys stuff a few times before - seems all very used and quite high prices.....hope he's not a member on here :oops:

I shouldnt think so :LOL:

he's raised a few eyebrows on here before with his ridiculously high prices, and ive read how members dislike the way he splits up classic frames and forks just to make an easy bit of cash :roll:

one of those Tioga headsets im thinking would be aright for my 1993 'Diamondcrap' sorrento once its been cleaned and regreased though :)

Sean :cool:

Re:

If it's a '91 zaskar then I'm sure I'm right in saying that it would have originally had a Tioga 'double locknut' headset.

If it was me though I'd just get the cheapy Ritchey logic one that is readily available new. I hate shit old secondhand headsets - they ruin a bike IMO.

Re:

True. There's just something about walking into a shop to buy parts for a restoration off the shelf though - its like the easy way out.

I won't be fitting a cheapy 2nd hand one though, what I'll do is continue to wait until I find a NOS one up until the point I need it then go for the Ritchey if I have too.

I'm not going to let it hold up the project and besides, at £15 I could just buy the Logic one as a temp until the 'proper one' turns up :)

Re:

Hi again Jaxon
I kinda have a spare 1 1/8" xt m736 brand new in the box headset that I am/was saving if my suntour HS ever fails that I would let go for 100USD + shipping. Got it from pbbikes on eBay who surprisingly was the cheapest option at the time. And he ships super fast which made me reconsider my opinion of them. If interested message me
LF

Back