46 KB · Views: 287
Re:

BB

Attachments

• XT BB 008a.jpg
    XT BB 008a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 286
Re:

Haven't found the time for a good rub yet but couldn't resist a test patch.....

I think this is gonna come up quite well :)
All I'm using is some fine rubbing compound to start with, then anything that sticks out will have to be sanded - 1500/2000 grit paper probably.

Btw, I would like a set of Smokes on this ride but maybe a bitch or expensive to get hold of - any ideas for tyres? Must be from the period and gumwall/tanwall/skinwall (whatever you call it!).

Also, just bought my Chill Pills, so I'm happy and also negotiating some front SLR canti's.........

Re:

Charge splashbacks? Only 15 quid a pair on ebay. They're Modern tanwall tyres but who cares?
I Have hurt my face quite badly by Riding 'period tyres' in the past and would not recommend it. You can't take chances on safety

Re:

You mean blow outs? If so, thats my concern.
I have the Splashbacks on the Kona, they're decent tyres tbh so its possible.

I was hoping there were maybe some more reissues like the Smokes were?

Re:

I meant about sheer lack of grip, seeing as rubber perishes over the years. I bought a pair of original Michelin wild grippers on here for £40 (the green ones with amber walls) and not even a week later I was riding just along the pavement and I dropped down the curb when the front end of my gt xizang slid straight out. For no reason at all besides the fact I was riding 15year old tyres, but there was a broken bottle in the road just in front of me so I fell into that and ended up picking bits of glass and dirt out of my cuts with tweezers that night.... Well lesson learned, and I went out and bought a pair of brand new continentals that weekend.

Splashbacks seem like good tyres but it's a pity they only come in 1.8" or 2.1" because a 1.95" would probably be a good seller among people on here

Sean :cool:

Re:

Ah gotcha, yeah rubber either goes hard or crumbles.......or blows out.

I may well see sense a buy new like you said - the last thing I want to do is come off this bike, if I did I'd probably punish myself severly with the bike pump.

Re:

Hi Jaxon
There is a member in the UK (John ???smith maybe) who s selling reissued smoke tires in 2.1 and they are also available from a German bike shop aswell
Cheers

Back