Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project *Finished*

Re:

I have a PDF copy on my works computer if anyone want a copy emailing to them? Just PM me your email address. Can send it tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

Re:

Lord_fowl":2pldbyhf said:
I have an actual 1991 catalogue I just battled it out on eBay to get
Cost me over 40 USD to get into my hands it shows......just barely ..that it says gt triple triangle and not competition series.
I am willing to lend it out if anybody wants to see to for themselves but maybe we are both right because the zaskar was a frame only purchase??
Anyway if you want to borrow my catalogue just pm me

Is it a comprehensive catalogue? Maybe you could scan it and upload it to this site - maybe you have some stuff we haven't got.
Nice buy anyway, look after it, usually that stuff was binned years ago.

Re:

When I left feedback for the seller I thanked them for holding onto this for me for so long. In my mind it is the type of catalogue that would have been left out for customers to look at while contemplating which make and model of bike to buy. There is no mention of bulk deals, prices or any other thing a LBS owner would be interested in while selling gt bikes. it is just gt explaining the benefits of their bikes over the competition's. It is also about 22 pages or so but since I'm still at work and don't have it with me I can't say more until later on.
Oh it also came from California if that has any bearing on what decals are correct

Re: Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project

I hadn't realised until now that the 91 & 92 were slightly different.
Didn't even notice the top-tube sticker until now.

Looks like 91 GT logos were black.
92 Zaskar bike had white GT logos.
92 Zaskar frame kit says 'LE' and has red GT logos.

When I have a spare evening I will attempt a definitive history of Zaskar logos !

Re:

Makes for quite a headache doing resto's from that period!

Anyway, got a can of penetrating fluid - gonna empty that down the seat tube and hopefully it will help loosen the BB cups.
Also got a mechanical puller which will help me get the crank arms off *crosses fingers*.

I consider this point as the 'top of my hill' and once/if successful, should be downhill from here (apart from fitting the new decals .....thats another nervous bit!).

Re:

Ok, so the mechanical puller didn't work on the crank so gonna need some proper heat - oxy/acetylene I reckon, the crank and BB are proper welded together :eek:

Managed to get the chainrings off though and pedals but those both needed a blow torch, penetrating spray and a long tube.

Crank attack at the weekend then - be battle ready :x

Also big thanks to Sailingjab1976 for the GT catalogue pdf, interesting read and good for research :)

Re:

Looks like a good project :)
I built a '91 zaskar last year for my dad. Very similar stuff - mag 21s and M73* XT etc.

I too had terrible fun with the cranks. I broke two sets of extractors before buying some Park ones that had the cranks off undamaged in 2 minutes. They weren't expensive either - about £15. Get some for next time ;) :D they really are the bollocks

Re:

Sure - try ebay item number 120501698823

Stick the number in the search box on ebay

You might also find them cheaper at bike shops - try googling 'Park square taper crank extractor'

Make sure you get the right ones - there are another type they do for the ISIS and octalink type cranks. Those ones have a fatter bit that pushes on the BB spindle.

Re:

Some tips for using them (you probably know but worth stating it anyway - sorry if I'm teaching nan to suck eggs)

1)Clean the crank threads really thoroughly
2)Stick the frame on its side and dribble penetrating fluid into the hole repeatedly over a few days - concentrate on the four corners of the square taper.
3)When you screw in the extractors make sure they are bottomed out right at the bottom of the crank threads. You need the tool to anchor in as many threads as possible if you are to avoid wrecking the crank
4)go for it

Back