Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project *Finished*

Re:

Whatever you do don't listen to me on BB's..... I'd stick a £15 UN55 cartridge one in there :LOL:

I will never understand why people use fancy ones :facepalm: I'd much rather spend my money on something I can see. As long as the BB spins without any play then what more do you need ? :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

paddy311":r3mv33jq said:
Whatever you do don't listen to me on BB's..... I'd stick a £15 UN55 cartridge one in there :LOL:

I will never understand why people use fancy ones :facepalm: I'd much rather spend my money on something I can see. As long as the BB spins without any play then what more do you need ? :mrgreen:

X2

Re:

I guess its all about this being a period rebuild - its like the guy in the LBS who took out the BB, I said I'd be putting a similar one back, he said "why? They're crap, this is what you want" *pulls out new BB*.

Oh and btw, the M730 isn't fancy........its £11 :razz:

Re: Re:

therealjaxon":3ibbknfb said:
I guess its all about this being a period rebuild - its like the guy in the LBS who took out the BB, I said I'd be putting a similar one back, he said "why? They're crap, this is what you want" *pulls out new BB*.

Oh and btw, the M730 isn't fancy........its £11 :razz:

Oh well if it was that cheap then fair do's :)
Have fun adjusting it :LOL:

Re:

Assuming you're not joking - then yes it does need adjusting when it's fitted.
It's not hard. It's just a case of tightening the adjustable cup until all the play is gone, then nipping up the lockring without moving the cup. Piece of piss TBH but it does require more finesse than the 'any monkey can fit one' cartridge type.

You were joking weren't you..... and I've just gone and written all that crap :facepalm: :mrgreen:

Re:

I did kinda guess it would need a little playing with, just when you said about it sounded like it would be a real bitch. It'll be fine, I'm a mechanic by trade anyway so I wouldn't let a puny BB beat me :LOL:

So, project wise, I now have all the parts I need to rebuild - apart from a couple of cosmetic things which I can still use initially and then swop out once the correct bits are found.

Also, I'll get today one of those metal polishing kits off eBay - started to polish by hand the other day and ran out of elbow grease real fast :LOL:

Re:

Today I have been mostly......... Polishing!!

This is by no means finished btw, just a mere skim over/rough Polish.
By far the most laborious job on this project but will ultimately be the most rewarding.
Also got the bottom bracket sorted so once the big polish is finished, it'll be ready to rebuild :D

Re:

Tyres arrived today :D........

And more polishing :roll:...... Almost there now though :)

Also managed to get some black GT handlebars and NOS brake pads for the rear U brake :)

Back