Javva Hub Help

twiddler

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I stupidly lent my circa 1997 Orange Prestige and 6 yrs later have recovered a sorry mess so the bulk of it is down at the LBS having a new drive train fitted as nothing was recoverable.

Anyway the fron hub bearings were U/S so I obtained replacements form SimplyBearings ( excellent service BTW) having fitted them I'm concerned that they have not seated fully in the hub as there seems to be very little (5mm) spindle left each side to fit into the Rock Shox

Javva.jpg

Does anyone have one of these hubs that they could compare ? I should have paid more attention before I started work ! The bearings went in Ok and sounded like they were in. In addition the ally dust caps are not as close to the hub (not shown in pic) as they were before disassembly.

I'd rather get your views before removing the new bearings and trying again.

I'd have thought 5mm was fine, that's what most of mine are. I'd be surprised if they were much more than 5mm before, as I've just measured some P2s and the dropouts are only 5mm thick. Surely if the spindle was more than that, it would sit proud of the dropouts and the skewers would be compressing the spindle direct, whereas they're supposed to be compressing the dropouts onto the spindle to keep everything in place.

I know suspension forks have thicker dropouts (SIDs = 6.5mm for example), but a Javva hub was certainly designed to be compatible with a P2 fork.

Back