Jan BoTM 2008 - Kona Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is mine. I am still waiting for the right stickers (thanks Gil ;) ) and the same rear tire as the front one.
Here are the specs :
- King Kahuna '98 frame
- Marzocchi Z2 Superfly forks
- full XTR drivetrain and brakes
- STM hubs on Mavic 517 "lime" rims
- Kooka seatpost

Vote for me, and I will give you health, money and happiness
[/img]

cchris2lou":dri1ltq5 said:
Nice Hei hei , shame about the seat post .

Seatpost? Too new (Thomson post)....or does not match the stem?

Those pictures are from last September. I've done some changes.

I tried to do a gallery of that bike before submitting pictures, but couldn't find the link or option to upload.

I'll try to post updated ones in the next couple days.

Yes , too modern I think , there are so many nice parts on that bike that i find the seat post not to adequate .
a black ringle would be much better .

but certainly one of the nicest hei hei on here .

Re: hei hei lawwill

bikeperv":3sngcgyl said:
Interesting fork, I'm into my cross links too. Does it work?

Fork works great. First thing to notice is a lack of pedal bobbing when riding, but reacts nicely on the hits. About 2.5 - 3" travel. Takes a slightly bigger hit to get this one going than other forks.

Torsionally rigid (flexy) as any air/oil Rock Shox or Marzocchi from the era.

Uses 8 plastic bushings on the pivot joints at the bottom, so when those are shot, good luck finding some, which can be a concern, but they do last. At least AMP still has parts for their linkage forks.

Great for XC riding. Don't recommend it for large jumps. If you ride a lot of rocky trails (like I do), then you might want to use a Fox or a nicer air / oil fork where you can dial it in more. Only way to change compression/rebound is taking apart, changing oil weights and playing with air pressure. No dials here.

cchris2lou":x75gq9gx said:
Yes , too modern I think , there are so many nice parts on that bike that i find the seat post not to adequate .
a black ringle would be much better .

but certainly one of the nicest hei hei on here .

The current setup has a vintage Syncros post and Avid Arc Supremes, along with a Proshift Front Mech.

Will post pics soon.

Wow,

Some lovely Konas on here guys...loving the Explosif and pink bits...

Rich

me! me!

kona.jpg

In many ways, this looks like one of the best bikes of the lot, and those are certainly the most capable forks of the lot, but does a bike need to be a retro bike in order to be the Retrobike Bike Of The Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back