Jagwire Compressionless Brake Outers

Yep. Having a fiddle around with the bits n pieces I already have, it looks like I only need two POP ferrules - one for each cablestop of the brake cable run on the top tube. The stops on my brake hangers take a 'normal' ferrule that fits over a 5mm cable, so that's two from the kit used up, and I imagine the other two are meant to go on the ends that go into the shifter body. Can you remember if your brake outers are joined to a short bit of more flexible cable outer - the section which goes into the shifter body? The pictures on PlanetX's website indicate they should be.

Sorry if this is boring you all. I can be a bit obsessive sometimes!

Here's a photo of the exact bits that come with one slickwire set. Both ends of the outer cable come with two (2)'s preattached (so there are 4 of (2) total in the set).

20150628_193411.jpg

(1) frame protector (for outer)
(2) ferrules - I used these bits to run into my brake levers and at cable stops (front and rear cable hanger)
(3) pop ferrules - to be honest I had no idea what these were for so didn't use them :oops:
(4) frame protector (for inner) - I think this is for when cables run along the top tube or downtube
(5) normal ferrules
(6) cable end crimpy things

Not sure if this helps with your termination question, but the 'pop ferrules', (3) work perfectly with some shimano r400 road levers of mine. The place on these levers where the outer cable terminates, is too narrow for regular ferrules, (like (2) or (5)) to fit inside properly. The pop ferrules on the other hand, slot in securely.

My kits did not come with any more flexible pieces on the ends like shown on the planetx website. I ordered MTB slickwire sets. I think the ROAD slickwire kits may come with that flexible bit. The outers in my kit are really quite flexible though. I would happily use slickwire MTB outer for a road setup.

Just for comparison, 'selcof superstrong' outer cable (which I also tried) is RIDICULOUSLY stiff stuff. I reckon it's basically a jagwire copy as it looks identical :LOL:. This stuff may need those more flexible parts you mention. For stiff road cabling I have always just used two or three loops of electrical tape to hold the outer cable in the right place on the bars, then laid my grip tape over the top of that.

Of course I was forgetting that we're in the mtb section and here's me asking roady-oriented info, but...Top reply ljamesb !! I have a feeling PlanetX have put the wrong picture on their website (their picture of an MTB kit is actually a road kit with its bendy ends), and as I've said before, on reflection the cable run is so short for my front brake (and not a whole bunch longer for the rear) that it hardly seems worth all the bother of using fancy cables anyway! That said, I can't go too wrong with Planet X's Slickwire set for six quid. And try saying that after a few..

Cheers all.

Latest posts

Back