Jagwire Compressionless Brake Outers

Gramo

Dirt Disciple
I'm building up a steel crosser with cantis and wouldn't mind trying out Jagwire Ripcord - the compressionless kevlar lined stuff (although it's currently packaged under a different name - Mountain Pro or summat). The kits come with 3000mm of cable and I only need half of that, so I wondered if anybody has been in a similar position, but bought the kit and now has half of it lying around unused?

Garish, white or metallic (anything but black) preferably!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers for replying Fatal S. ISTR Planet X are knocking the blue out for £15 too. Anyway, as it transpires I need even less now (about 2 x 350mm tops) it hardly seems worth bothering even scavenging the 'net for off-cuts of compressionless at all! I'll see how spongy my Tektros feel using regular cooking cable before I decide.

Just a big-up to the tech department at Jagwire though - after emailing them about how to go about cabling up my bike properly I received two very detailed replies - pointing out that because I'll be using Mk2 10sp Campag Ergos, I'll need to use 2 180mm sections of their EZ-bend* cable when exiting the levers - with two special Jagwire ferrules to join to the now even shorter lengths of Ripcord housing going to the brakes themselves.....if that makes sense!

*bog-standard coiled brake housing as far as I can tell

Not what you've asked for, but I have plenty of SRAM slickwire compressionless housing left over. I think it's very similar to jagwire ripcord. I've got plenty in red and white so if you want some just let me know what colour and how much.

ljamesb":2tglt15h said:
Not what you've asked for, but I have plenty of SRAM slickwire compressionless housing left over. I think it's very similar to jagwire ripcord. I've got plenty in red and white so if you want some just let me know what colour and how much.

That's great, but perversely I'll decline! Reason being that it looks like I'd need SRAM's flexi sections to insert into the Ergo bodies too, together with the little proprietry thingies to join them to the less flexible, Sickwire housing proper - just like the Jagwire system. As I'll also need a couple of brake inners - even without making a small donation to your paypal account, this little lot comes to more than a brand new Slickwire brake kit from Planet X for the super-soaraway price of just £5.99!

So I might as well buy some of that - meaning I'll also have tons left over for somebody else :)

Thanks for the Slickwire heads-up though!

just used a Slickwire kit from PlanetX. Nice!

The outer doesnt seem desperately better than "normal" to be honest but all the twiddly bits are nice and the inner is black :cool:

One question Little Skink - how did you terminate the Slickwire housing in the frame cablestops? As both cablestop and housing are 5mm you can't fit a ferrule on, or in, either. Without proper termination or some flavour of ferrule, the Slickwire housing (having longitudinal inner strands, and not coils like the regular brake housing stuff) will surely fray over time, won't it?

For someone coming over from a purely road-racey background like me, this is all a bit of a learning curve!

And sorry mods if this isn't the right place to ask and I'm committing some sort of forum misdemeanor.

the Slickwire "kit" came with a whole bunch of little black ferrules, anti-rub frame rubbers and cable ends. Ferrules were enough for 1 outer run for the front and 2 runs for the back (ie with a run of exposed cable along top tube). The ferrules were a pretty snug fit to the outer and everything fitted fine in my frame/noodles/levers

For cutting I have proper Park outer cutters which didnt crush the outers - I imagine putting something inside the outer when cutting (bamboo skewer?) would stop it being crushed. May even be a non-issue, either way you get a good length of outer so you can play

Hardest bit can be getting the length right - do you have old outers for a pattern?

Cool! Thanks for that. I think what I was after though were what used to be known as 'step-down' ferrules (POP ferrules in Jagwire-speak), but you're implying that some things along these lines are included in the slickwire kit. Which is nice!

I've got plenty of crappy old brake outer to use as a template, so no worries there. And inserting a bit of old inner cable should prevent the outer from being deformed, although it's about time I bought some proper cable cutters.

It was sold as a "full kit" so yeah a few bits and pieces in the box.

I see 4 "normal" black ferrules and 2 "Pop" ferrules in the noodles on my bike - cant find the rest of the bits it came with but I think this was all the ferrules, does that help?

Latest posts

Back