It is ... it isn't ... it is ... an Sbike!

where you getting it painted, might have a frame to add and it may get a long standing project actually going again..

I was planning to take a batch of stuff to Yorvik Engineering, since I regularly drive to York anyway. Very happy to take anything for you if that helps. I may also need to find somewhere to do painting, because I think I'll need to get the bars painted, since powdercoating will add thickness ...... unless I want to try painting them myself.

Tim at Yorvik powdercoated my SBike and did a great job. You just have to badger him a bit if you are on a deadline. He did powdercoat my bars and seatpost too and will do a thin powdercoat if you ask him.

Tim at Yorvik powdercoated my SBike and did a great job. You just have to badger him a bit if you are on a deadline. He did powdercoat my bars and seatpost too and will do a thin powdercoat if you ask him.

Yes, I've had quite a few things done by Tim. Most impressive is probably the Raleigh Twenty. I'll speak to him about the bars, but I'm not sure whether even a thin coat will work, unless it's no thicker than paint, due to the design of this stem.

I'm still having a dilemma over the colour for the stem and bar ends, though I should be taking parts to be powdercoated next week or the week after.

I'm currently edging towards black for the stem and the highlight colour for the bar ends.

Also undecided whether it would be wrong to get a perfect condition M900 front hub refinished in the highlight colour, but I don't have a tatty one.

Still having dilemmas, considering the mounts for the thumbshifters and the pedal cages now. I'm leaning towards doing most parts in black to avoid too much of the highlight colour - using that for just the cranks, cantis, hubs and brake lever bodies.

View attachment 556692

I'm not very good at not buying anymore bikes.

Firstly, massive thanks to Xavier (Raging_Bulls) for being a goldmine of knowledge about Sbikes. I spent all week pestering him for information about them before going to see this one today. I'd almost convinced myself against buying it, but I was really intrigued about how they ride and after a quick spin and chatting with the seller I was sold, both based on the feel of the bike and its apparently rarity - I do like something unusual.

I believe it's a 1993 - shimano date codes on the brakes are 1992 and on the cranks 1993, both of which are the Altus A10 it was originally fitted with.

Plenty more information to come.
Hi just reading.
This frame is Sbike 403 model.
it appeared in Synthese's 93' catalog. the front fork is specific to this model. the others are more cylindrical on the .508 and 301 series

Attachments

• 16463646315452052753784782503766.jpg
    16463646315452052753784782503766.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 21
Hi just reading.
This frame is Sbike 403 model.
it appeared in Synthese's 93' catalog. the front fork is specific to this model. the others are more cylindrical on the .508 and 301 series

Wow, thank you. That definitely looks like the closest match I've seen. There are a couple of minor differences - there seems to be a gap betwen the stays on that on which is not presrnt on my frame and my forks have mounts halfway down. The stem looks a little different too.

What groupset is on that? The '3' refers to the groupset level, right? It looks like it might be Altus A10, the same as mine except with the extra protective chainguard.

Wow, thank you. That definitely looks like the closest match I've seen. There are a couple of minor differences - there seems to be a gap betwen the stays on that on which is not presrnt on my frame and my forks have mounts halfway down. The stem looks a little different too.

What groupset is on that? The '3' refers to the groupset level, right? It looks like it might be Altus A10, the same as mine except with the extra protective chainguard.
I never understood their names except that the last digit corresponds to the equipment. I remember that at the time, in the store where I bought my Sbike, there was only the top of the range of the brand and the frames were sold alone.

Back