issues out riding earlier

jgjones095

Old School Hero
OK where to start. Ive recently built schwinn up with a complete 8 speed M950/2 groupset.

Start after many year to get (my 18 stone) back in the saddle and have covered about 15 miles since.

Now out for a ride again this evening and after about 5 mile the pedals become hard to turn with a lot of resistance to the point where they stopped. I was climbing at the time so stopped to check it over.

Took the chain off the crank an that span well.
Took the rear wheel off and the free hub span.
Put it all back together and still had issues.
I could not rotate the pedals backwards it was like the free hub was jammed. I could however freewheel. (Ive had a free hub fail on me years ago on my old bike, and I couldn't freewheel I had to constantly pedal)

Got back on and cycled home the short way. Gears jumped in a few smaller cogs.

I also had an odd feeling when pedaling. It was like it slipped a tooth.

Got home and bike onto the stand. Took the back wheel off an it appears that my cassette had a bit of play in. Tightened the nut up with a wrench and there was still play.

I've removed the cassette M950 from the hubs M950. And it appears that my locking nut thread is damaged.

Can you get replacement locking nuts?
I'm not sure what state the thread on the free hub is like. Hoping that isn't damaged!

Could anyone think of other issues causing this?

I mean wondering if the locking ring got stuck on my frame?

Cheers all.

I can't help with the diagnosis but if the free hub works off the bike you could try a different locking nut as a loose cassette isn't good. Plenty of options there in all sorts of colours. Make sure you get an 11 tooth nut if your cassette has an 11 tooth sprocket, or 12 if it's 12. Should cost you very little and if it turns out to be something else you've not spent much. You might get one off here if you ask in the wanted section. I'd give you one to try if I had one. Good luck.

Just a thought, what hubs are you using? I can't recall what combination of hub/cassette it was, but I did have an issue once where once the cassette was tightened up, it locked the freehub. I think a spacer behind the cassette solved this. I'm sure others with better memories may be able to verify what combination of freehub/cassette this can happen on.

Re:

I've got m950 hubs and m950 cassette. Both bought second hand....

OK that's good to know any locking nut will do.
I wasn't sure that if I had a m950 cassette I had to have a certain locking nut.

As for mech and their jockey wheels on mech the seem fine.

Re:

I had a very similar issue last week - turned out that the main derailleur bolt was too long and went all the way through the dropout and was fouling the chain on the inside of the dropout. The wheel could freewheel but not back pedal as it would catch on the chain and when in the lowest gear the chain would foul the derailleur bolt and jump.

I filed off 2mm of the derailleur bolt and all was well again.

That's a good shout. Maybe even something as simple as a very stiff chain link? Does it happen all the way round or just at a certain point? I fitted a chain to my STS recently just to get out on a ride and there was a stiff link that meant it kept jumping when it went round the mech.

I recently had an issue were the LBS over tightened the axle cones, just slightly. Everything was good out of the bike but when the wheel was in the frame the added squeeze from the QR locked things up.

Re:

Not wishing to sound horrible as a 'Clydesdale' myself, have you checked the rear axle is not bent, as I believe they were Ti on M950 hubs.

Re:

Cheers for the tips guy I shall check tonight in the shed.

Pretty sure it's not the chain it's brand new.

I'm gonna swap wheels around with the wife's bike and check.

Could be a bent axle as i am a fat git lol

Back