Isle of Wight Seven Hills Killer

Wow, you know what - I thought I was the only islander on here too !! Great to here from you all. Thanks Jody75 for nominating me as AEC - whatever that is !! ( I'm guessing it's Area Events Coordinator ? ) I'd be happy to arrange the odd blast around the island if that's what we're talking about here, and we'll see where it goes from there. Don't know how to go about setting up our own area at the moment but I'll look into it - Russell help!!!!

I doubt there's enough of us to warrant our own catagory in the area groups list, but how about an "Islands" one? there must be a few Channel Island/Isle of Man etc Retrobikers out there :cool:

IoW Rocks

Another one here, part timer though.

Got to be one of the best places to ride. East Wight rather than West normally myself, but only because of my location.

This is brilliant! Its good to get all these contacts as we plan regular IOW rides as part of the South West region.
We were only discussing a possible ride in a moths time, so lets try and get as many 'residents' out as possible :D

as the AEC for the SW area and the fact that i tend to organise most rides on the island (from the mainland) i think that as we don't have a "SOUTH" area as such for the island to fit into because we have a 'southeast' and 'southwest' i would suggest that you have any area discussions for rides under the southwest banner if that's ok with you guys.

we do let the southeastern guys know what's going on and they also tend to join us aswel.

:)

Im doing the 14 again this year. I did it for the first time last year, it nearly killed me. I set off at 0900 knowing id need all day to get round. Me and three others who i did not know all set of together. We had trouble finding the first check point so got chatting while looking for it. It turned out that we were all of similar fitness and had under estimated the task at hand. We ended up doing the whole thing together. Dragging each other round, waiting at the top of climbs as we all hit "the wall" at differant times, sharing supplies and having a laugh dispite the pain. We got back to shanklin at 1745 just before the cut off as they were packing up. Meeting those guys really made the day.
Im doing the 14 again dispite the above as i plan to get alot fitter this year (i know me and everyone else this time of year) so it will be a good benchmark.
jonnyboy i was talking to you about this on sunday (steve on the pine mountain). I was saying that i thought they had laid on some transport to get you back to freshwater. I could be wrong though as everyone was long gone by the time i got back back to shanklin. lol
Good to see some iow retro bikers. I did all my riding over there bitd. Lived in ventnor early 90,s. Used to go to the mountain bike club, well i think it was a club. 1000 on sundays outside ATS in newport.
Any of you guys?
I hoping to go on the next iow ride will be good to meet some chaulkheads.

It would be good to meet up for it. Me and my brother 'Jody75' used to be at ATS at 1000 on sundays bitd. Just got back into riding recently probably only manage the 7 hills though :D

jonnyboy666":2ohg302r said:
as the AEC for the SW area and the fact that i tend to organise most rides on the island (from the mainland) i think that as we don't have a "SOUTH" area as such for the island to fit into because we have a 'southeast' and 'southwest' i would suggest that you have any area discussions for rides under the southwest banner if that's ok with you guys.

we do let the southeastern guys know what's going on and they also tend to join us aswel.

:)

Will do Jon, wasnt trying to step on your toes mate, sorry :oops: cant wait for the next IOW ride. :D

Cool, maybe we used to ride together. It would have been 92-93 when i was going. I cant remember any names im affraid. I was the youngest in the group, proberly 15 when i first went. Im remember a guy that lived on staplers hill newport, think he rode a kona. Also someone that rode a red klien attitude who could do off road wheelies for miles. he was my hero. We also met up with purbrook mtb club a couple of times and rode around what must have been the south downs.
Ahh those were the days riding for miles in a shell suite on nothing more than a marathon and a squashed jam sanwich stuffed into a bumbag.

Problem with the hills killer is we will be starting on the opposiite sides of the island. Still i may have seen sense and gone for the 7 by then.
I should be on the jonnyboys next iow ride so maybe see you there.

Back